Shooting with both eyes open?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Highlander Archery

RE: Shooting with both eyes open?

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 am

No problem Wisbooner, glad I could help. Archery is addicting just ask these young ladies
ImageImageImageImage

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I tried both eyes open last night and it was aweful. I was thinking it was becuase my left eye is weaker than my right. I have to wear reading glasses now (gettin old I guess) but not for shooting.  So you are saying to take a pair of sunglasses and remove both lenses and replace the lens for your non-dominant eye with a piece of paper?

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:32 pm

ORIGINAL: Proline

I tried both eyes open last night and it was aweful. I was thinking it was becuase my left eye is weaker than my right. I have to wear reading glasses now (gettin old I guess) but not for shooting.  So you are saying to take a pair of sunglasses and remove both lenses and replace the lens for your non-dominant eye with a piece of paper?

Yes, or if prescription glasses are needed(I have them) obscure the lens over the non dominant eye.

robinhood87

Postby robinhood87 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:27 pm

I tend to aim with both eyes and close my left eye right before I shoot. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I can't seem to keep them open the whole time.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:53 pm

ORIGINAL: robinhood87

I tend to aim with both eyes and close my left eye right before I shoot. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I can't seem to keep them open the whole time.

That is a psychological block that will eventually lead to target panic because for a split second you are not concentrating on aiming. Try the training suggestion I posted.

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 am

Hey Highlander Archery, I've been shooting like robinhood87 for over 35 years now (yeah I'm old) and it hasn't caused me any major problems harvesting game or shooting accurately. I have a common sighting problem, left eye dominant vision. When you try to shoot with both eyes open you wind up aiming off of the real sight line. Lots of shooters have this condition and it is not psychological. If I would have known about it when I first started bowhunting I would have opted for a left handed bow. Maybe thats why I enjoy shooting turkeys lefthanded sometimes when they come from a hard right approach. Good luck and Good hunting! joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution." Ben Franklin

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:24 am

ORIGINAL: joeturkey

Hey Highlander Archery, I've been shooting like robinhood87 for over 35 years now (yeah I'm old) and it hasn't caused me any major problems harvesting game or shooting accurately. I have a common sighting problem, left eye dominant vision. When you try to shoot with both eyes open you wind up aiming off of the real sight line. Lots of shooters have this condition and it is not psychological. If I would have known about it when I first started bowhunting I would have opted for a left handed bow. Maybe thats why I enjoy shooting turkeys lefthanded sometimes when they come from a hard right approach. Good luck and Good hunting! joe

If you are shooting with your dominant eye opposite your bow arm then you are correct. However, cross dominant is different than one shooting and losing focus for a split second. Either way, my suggestion will work to "fix" the problem. In fact in your case you could use the same method to train your right eye.

robinhood87

Postby robinhood87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:07 pm

That is a psychological block that will eventually lead to target panic because for a split second you are not concentrating on aiming. Try the training suggestion I posted.
[/quote]

I may have to try that!

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm

I have a guy on my lease that shoots with both eyes closed I think!!![:)]

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:02 pm

ORIGINAL: Huntingdad

I have a guy on my lease that shoots with both eyes closed I think!!![:)]

I've seen those types too. I also know legitimately blind people who are excellent shots with a little help.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting