What's your off-season regiment?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
wisbooner3932

What's your off-season regiment?

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:08 am

For a lot of us the bow season is over (as much as it hurts to say that) so what do you do during the winter months as far as shooting your bow, etc. to stay sharp?  Shoot in your basement?  Shoot at indoor ranges?  Shoot outside? Not shoot at all maybe?

I'll admitt, in past years I've been bad at shooting during the winter months of the offseason.  This year though, I'm changing that.  I'm getting a new DXT in a month or so and after testing them out at dealers I doubt I'll be able to keep it out of my hands its so nice to shoot!  When I put it on lay away the sales rep. told me I get 5 free hours at their range so you can bet I'll use that up.  I also plan on shooting in my basement at only a couple yards just to really nail my form down which has kind of gotten sloppy.  You better believe I'll be ready for next season when it rolls around! It seems way too far away though [:(][:(][:(][:(]

What's everyone else plan on doing, if anything?
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Woods Walker

RE: What's your off-season regiment?

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:27 pm

I shoot all year long. I have a 12 yard range in my basement (20 if I open the garage door and stand in there), and when the winter weather is civil and there's not much snow cover I'll fling a few outside. As soon as the weather get's warmer I will then shoot outdoors on my few acres, and then the 3-D season starts. When there's no 3-D shoot, I will go to my hunting grounds and take a "bowhike"....shooting judo points at weeds/stumps/and round bales while scouting for next season. This is usually preceded by at least one hour of visiting with my farmer buddy and drinking coffee in his kitchen as we solve all the worlds problems. I must be getting old, because I enjoy these visits as much as I do actually hunting anymore.

I shoot more during the "off" season than I do during hunting season! Can't get enough of it.......I'm addicted........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:51 am

This time of year I go to a 30 yard indoor range at an archery shop. I have about an hour drive to get there but I will spend about 3 hours of shooting and fine tuning if I need it, since Im shooting at a bow shop. I will go about once or twice a week. Other shooters come in to and chat with them for a little bit about their hunting season or their equipment they use. When the spring time arrives I have a range in my back yard and down on the edge of the field by my place where I can practice my maximum ranges.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Proline

Postby Proline » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Club has a spot league starting next week thru March. Lot of fun.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Usually we start shooting again in late Feb. Bows and rifles. 

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:51 pm

My shooting is year 'round and my instructing too. 

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:56 pm

After the season ends, (01-17-11) I won't touch the bows till August. That's when I start putting out trailcams, and start shooting and checking equipment. Have an outside range that is up to 45yds, with a ladder stand at 25yds. The winter months keep me busy with shed hunting and antler repair. Spring and summer, garden preparation and gardening, and an occasional fishing junket.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Archery and Bowhunting