What is your favorite memory of a hunt

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ToddRvs

What is your favorite memory of a hunt

Postby ToddRvs » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Part 1 of a 3 part post

My best memory is with my dad when I was about 13 years old. I grew up in Alabama so hunting was a big part of my life. My dad always went hunting and he would not go for a day or two it was more like a week or two. There was plenty of public land to hunt on and my dad every year would pack up his old army pop tent and his rifle and head to the woods. My mom and me never knew when he would get back. Sometimes it was a week sometime two or more.

Well back to my memory, I remember I was 10 years old and I wanted to go hunting with my dad. He had taught me how to shoot and I was really not that good but I tried. So that year my dad walked out to the fence line and set up 5 tin cans he then told me that if I could hit all 5 cans without a miss he would take me hunting. I tried and I only got 2 cans, my old man said well better luck next year. Every year after that he would set up those cans and give me the same challenge to shoot all 5 cans without a miss. Well it took me 3 years before I could hit all 5 cans and we were off to the hunt.

I remember the mornig of the hunt my dad packed up the gear and I kissed my mother goodbye. It would be more than two weeks before I would see her again.

If there is an interest Next week I will post Part 2 it is going to be worth the read.
Keep It Safe
Leave it like you found it
Pick a spot
and bring home your trophy

http://bowhunting.blog.com/

USN_Sam1385

RE: What is your favorite memory of a hunt

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm

ORIGINAL: ToddRvs

Part 1 of a 3 part post

My best memory is with my dad when I was about 13 years old. I grew up in Alabama so hunting was a big part of my life. My dad always went hunting and he would not go for a day or two it was more like a week or two. There was plenty of public land to hunt on and my dad every year would pack up his old army pop tent and his rifle and head to the woods. My mom and me never knew when he would get back. Sometimes it was a week sometime two or more.

Well back to my memory, I remember I was 10 years old and I wanted to go hunting with my dad. He had taught me how to shoot and I was really not that good but I tried. So that year my dad walked out to the fence line and set up 5 tin cans he then told me that if I could hit all 5 cans without a miss he would take me hunting. I tried and I only got 2 cans, my old man said well better luck next year. Every year after that he would set up those cans and give me the same challenge to shoot all 5 cans without a miss. Well it took me 3 years before I could hit all 5 cans and we were off to the hunt.

I remember the mornig of the hunt my dad packed up the gear and I kissed my mother goodbye. It would be more than two weeks before I would see her again.

If there is an interest Next week I will post Part 2 it is going to be worth the read.

There is an interest. I think that this was very well written. I also know the test I am going to now give my kids. Please write more.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:32 pm

This is a good topic, but my problem is that I don't ONE favorite memory, I have many.

Some are based on what happened with the animals, some are based on the kill, but most are based on the hunt itself, and the people involved. This is a constantly evolving process, and every year there are new memories.

I will relate this one, because it ties pretty much my whole hunting life to date into one big package.....

The man who is my hunting "mentor", was a very good friend of my father(my father didn't hunt, but he was wise enough to see the desire in me, and rather than squash it, he had his friend take me under wing, and a better choice I could never have made!) He is also unquestionably the BEST all around woodsman (hunter/fisherman/trapper/naturalist) I have ever known. The first hunt I went on, I was 14 years old, and I did not carry a gun. He and I went small game hunting, and I spotted a squirrel way up in the top of an oak tree. I pointed this out to him, and he handed me the gun and said, "You saw him, he's yours", and thus I killed my first game animal with a firearm. The rest is 39 years of MANY hunts with this man, and many without him, as I now live about 1000 miles away.

Flash forward to 2006. I hadn't shared a hunt with him for a good 15 years, but this year he came out to our Illinois deer camp for the second half of firearm season. He could no longer hike the hills, and had to confine his hunts to the ridge tops. I stillhunted the steep bluff, and it was on that hunt that I killed a B&C typical. He did come with us when we dragged him down the bluff, and although to this day I wished that it would have been HIM that killed the buck, I truly believe that based on the look on his face, and the photos that were taken with he and I posed over that deer, that he was just as pleased, and maybe more, that I, his "protoge", had gotten him. This was a hunt that I will never forget.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ToddRvs

Postby ToddRvs » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I will be posting part two of my favorite hunt memory very soon so keep looking here for it.
Keep It Safe
Leave it like you found it
Pick a spot
and bring home your trophy

http://bowhunting.blog.com/

Walking Crow

Postby Walking Crow » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:53 am

I have many but one of my favorite also is with my father. I had been hunting a new place we had. I called my father one evening and told him he needed to go hunting with me the next day. I said I can almost gaurantee him a shot at a nice buck. So the next day I took him to spot and showed him a tree he should put his stand in. I told him that between 7:00 and 7:30 am where the deer will come from. So off I went to my spot. At 11.00 I was to meet him. As I walked up to him there he was in his stand smiling. He then pointed to where his buck was down. A nice big 7pt. He told me the deer came in just like I told him it would. He shot it a 7:15. What a day that was. I surely miss him.

Bob D

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 am

every hunt is memorable in their own ways. I just can't put a finger on one great memory of a hunt, there are many, but the best memories I have are the people in our camp and other camps in the area. Rifle season opener up here in Wisconsin is like its own holiday where I live. That first Saturday night legions of hunters in the area flock to the nearest bar down the road with their deer in the backs of their trucks and sit til bar close out in the bar parking lot looking at everyone's deer and telling tall tales of the big deer they shot or didnt shoot. So many crazy stories told in one night. I am pretty humble compared to the rest. Those are good times to me.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

yokelokie

Postby yokelokie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 am

I have many "favorite hunts." They all include time spent with family. Dad was with me when I took my best deer yet. I could never forget that day if you jabbed bamboo shoots under my fingernails for a year. But my favorite favorites are the numerous hunts I have shared with my 3 beautiful daughters. Between them so far, they have taken 18 deer with 20 shots. Each took her first at age 11, "hunting age" at our house. We put up 5 last season. The meat was gone by June. Every evening at dinner I say, "Girls... this year, we're waging war on the whitetails!" They agree and say, "Yeah,,, I'm sick of eating chicken." My oldest is 18 now. She has taken 12 deer with 12 shots over the past 7 years. We filmed most of the hunts. Priceless footage. She went off to college last week. Guess the younger 2 and I will have to step it up a notch this year. I'm tired of eating chicken, too. I sure do miss that girl.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:30 am

I took my best friend (since we were 8 & 9 years old) scouting for a good place to set his stand on public land for the up-coming week long Doe season in 1985. Before we got 125 yards into the woods, I noticed an old hog fence that had a serious deer trail beside it. I backed up and saw that there were white oak trees all around with only acorn caps littering the ground. He looked puzzled when I told him that there was no need in looking for a stand site any better than this one.

I hung the stand for the next morning's hunt. I was in my own stand about 350 yards away overlooking an overgrown field. At 7:30, I saw a buck (not a shooter) cross the field going away from us but no does. Around 8:am I heard him shoot twice and holler WOOOO!

When I got up to him I asked, "How many did you get?" and he replied "How many times did I shoot?" We did the same thing a different locations for the next two consecutive years. Now, we hunt together regularly and I got him in as a member at our lease.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 am

Looking back on it, I believe that mine has to be the the summer bowfishing trip I made with the Swedish Bikini Team. When you all get a little older I'll tell you about it.....[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Archery and Bowhunting