Mathews Z7 xtreme

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
scottflesher

Mathews Z7 xtreme

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Has anyone purchased this bow? I'm in the market for an upgrade and wanted some thoughts from anyone who has it. I currently shoot a Reflex xpress that I purchased around 2000. It's a great bow and while I probably don't "need" one, I figure that technological improvements over the past 11 years can't hurt.
I've checked a few shops and it seems the price ranges from $749-$799. I'll transfer my sights and rest to the new bow, so I won't have accessories to add.

pickleguy

Re: Mathews Z7 xtreme

Postby pickleguy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:05 pm

I shot one & they shoot good. I would never buy a bow on others advice, go to the pro shop & shoot several brands in your price range & don't pay attention to brand names versus how they feel & shoot. I ended up walking out with a PSE, a brand I never even thought I would buy in a million years. I was at the shop the other day & asked how the Z7's were selling & he said good but you have twice the bow for the same money. Just my $.02 worth
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 am

pickleguy wrote:I shot one & they shoot good. I would never buy a bow on others advice, go to the pro shop & shoot several brands in your price range & don't pay attention to brand names versus how they feel & shoot. I ended up walking out with a PSE, a brand I never even thought I would buy in a million years. I was at the shop the other day & asked how the Z7's were selling & he said good but you have twice the bow for the same money. Just my $.02 worth

A dealer is saying the PSE is twice the bow as as the Mathews? He must have some incentive to sell the PSEs, because even if he feels it is a superior bow, there is no way it is twice the bow. Both good bows, it really comes down to preference. I shoot the z7 xtreme, and I shoot as well with it as I did with my switchback and it is smaller and lighter. For me, it was worth the upgrade, but Pickleguy is right, go shoot a bunch of them, and pick what is right for you.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Thanks guys. I shot one about 6-8 times a few weeks ago and it felt nice. Although it wasn't my release, didn't have sights, etc. It was just a practice arrow blindly at a target from about 15 feet.
I was suprized how little it looks. Compared to my 35 inch axle to axle reflex, the 28 inch bow looked like a toy and was alot lighter. I know those features can affect accuracy, however I like it for hunting, given it doesn't hinder my accuracy. It also had a significant amount of let off compared to my bow, which is a nice feature if you're in a situation where you must remain drawn for a little longer than normal.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 pm

scottflesher that sounds about the same experience I had when I was testing out the z7 at my local dealer. Even at 15' I could feel it shot allot smoother and quieter than my old PSE XT2000. I ended up ordering one, only a 24.5" draw length and 70lbs draw. So far I am very happy with mine. 30 days and I get to test out it's knock down power!!

Return to Archery and Bowhunting