Slick Trick vs. Grim Reaper vs. Swhacker Video

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Ky Bob

Re: Slick Trick vs. Grim Reaper vs. Swhacker Video

Postby Ky Bob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:28 pm

I would like too see an angled shot with each of those broadheads. I've seen the Swhacker commercial but they really don't show the broadhead making contact with the plywood.

bowmaniac

Postby bowmaniac » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:33 pm

I`ve been using RAGE broadheads since I started bowhunting which is about three years ago and the deer that I had shot the most they have run is about 60 yards. I know they are a little bit pricey but I rather pay a little extra and recover all my deer than using something different and and lose the deer. Just think about it your waiting for a buck that one you have been waiting for just to lose it for shooting it with a broadhead that you dont trust just to save you acouple of bucks I bet, you will be really desapointment. Becouse you get three rages for $39.00 which is 13.00 dlls. apiece and you can shoot up to two bucks with one so that will give you $6.50 per deer so for $6.50 its going to save me extra time on tracking the deer and no carrying it the extra 70 yards that is going to take for the deer to die. I`m not saying anything bad about the other broadheads but if you are getting good results with the ones your are using why to switch.

cunninghamww

Postby cunninghamww » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm

bowmaniac wrote:I`ve been using RAGE broadheads since I started bowhunting which is about three years ago and the deer that I had shot the most they have run is about 60 yards. I know they are a little bit pricey but I rather pay a little extra and recover all my deer than using something different and and lose the deer. Just think about it your waiting for a buck that one you have been waiting for just to lose it for shooting it with a broadhead that you dont trust just to save you acouple of bucks I bet, you will be really desapointment. Becouse you get three rages for $39.00 which is 13.00 dlls. apiece and you can shoot up to two bucks with one so that will give you $6.50 per deer so for $6.50 its going to save me extra time on tracking the deer and no carrying it the extra 70 yards that is going to take for the deer to die. I`m not saying anything bad about the other broadheads but if you are getting good results with the ones your are using why to switch.

Why don't I use rages? Cheap blades, manufactured in China. They WILL break/bend if you hit bone. I simply don't trust a broadhead with flimsy blades. But here is the real deal for me...I don't like rear-deploying broadheads. Unlike over-the-top mechanicals, rear deploying broadheads expend WAY too much of their kinetic potential having to punch through on a hit. Unlike to the over the top broadheads that establish a decent cut before expanding, these rear deploying blades expend up to 30% of your overall KE just getting into the animal. Sure, you get sick entry wounds, but I would 100% rather have a solid entry AND exit wound. I have shot deer with rages and know this from experience...but the physics of their design is what really turns me off.

IMO, Rage is successful because of a hyper marketing campaign. Good for them, but you I won't touch them with a 10 ft pole.

cunninghamww

Postby cunninghamww » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Also, I have killed countless deer with multiple broadheads that died under 20 yards. That is attributed some to shot placement but mostly, I think, to how the deer reactes to the shot. If you shoot a deer after it has taken a large breath there is more oxygen in his blood stream and he is able to run farther. Also, if the deer was alert when you shot then he will be more hyped up on pure adrenaline versus shooting a completely oblivious deer. I am sure you put good shots on your deer that died soon but your broadhead had less to do with your short recovery than you might think.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting