Anyone got some tips on how to get my bow a little faster?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
mossyhorns86

Anyone got some tips on how to get my bow a little faster?

Postby mossyhorns86 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:02 am

I just bought a Z7 and it is only shooting about 260 to 265 fps. I was wondering what i could do to get it up to about 275 or 280. I have a 29" draw at 70 pound. I am shooting terminator 6075's with a 100 g field point. I was told that if i switch to the victory nano i could pick up about 15 fps? Any suggestions? [/align]  

Mastertangler

RE: Anyone got some tips on how to get my bow a little faster?

Postby Mastertangler » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:43 am

First...I'm in shock that a bow rated up to 337fps is only getting you to 260. I'm shooting a 4yr old Diamond Liberty and shooting 270 with that.

I'm no expert, but here's a few possibilities.
1. Are you shooting the bow maxed out, or turned down? You are way better off in all aspects shooting a 60lb turned tight than a 70lb turned down.
2. Are you shooting the right arrow for the bow?
2. Are you shooting a flat black arrow or a camo one? Camo arrows, the camo is usually an additional layer making your arrow much heavier and thus slower. Shoot the same rated arrow in flat black and it'll be much better.
3. Are you shooting with wraps by the fletchings? Again, the wraps are nice for vision, but they weigh more too.
4. Do you have additional silencers on your strings? An odd peep? Everything you add to a string or arm of the bow slows it down. Might be quieter, but it'll be slower too.

Lots of factors can change speeds in a hurry. Even feathers vs vanes can make a 3-4fps change in speed.

mossyhorns86

Postby mossyhorns86 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 am

I currently have my bow maxed out at 70 pound, i was told that 6075's are the correct spine for 70 pounds but they are the camo version, i don't have any wraps and i am shooting 1.5 in blazer vanes, string silencers i have 2 cat whiskers and nothing else. It blew me away when the kid said 260 fps but then again i was looking at some victory nano arrows before that (6 of them for $100) so who knows how accurate that chronograph was.  

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am

I would have to say it's probably your arrow that's slowing you down. Many of the flat black arrows that will fit your draw and length will probably be around 8.2gpi. That arrow you are shooting now is probably more like 10gpi.

Take 2gpi x 29" and you're looking at trying to throw an extra 55-60 grams at the target than you really need to. That's a lot, and will slow your speed way down.

Camo arrows look nice...but unless you pay for the best ones with low gpi, you're paying to slow yourself down.
And I can't say a flat black arrow has ever been my reason for getting busted by a deer either.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Mastertangler

mossyhorn86 is right.  If you have anything on your string, it will slow it down.  Bow companies us very light arrows, 30 inch draws and strings with nothing on them to achieve these very high artificial speeds.  If you want a bow for target shooting I would advise taking string silencers off and a kisser button if you have one on.  Concentrate on your using the same anchor point and you won't need it for hunting either.  In the end though, no matter how fast your bow is you will never be faster than a deer reaction to the noise they here when you release your arrow.

If you are really worried about speed though, I to doubt that you are loosing that much from a bow that can shoot over 330 fps.  I would take it somewhere else.  The chrono you tried it on might have you worried for nothing.   
Andy

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Get rid of the release and use your fingers, you will shoot arrows A LOT faster!!!! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm

try a different chrono before you get too nuts.  29 inch draw and 70lbs should be moving. 

mossyhorns86

Postby mossyhorns86 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:24 am

I brought my bow in and had is looked at the other day and the cam timing was off a little bit. I think that was a big part of it their.  I switched to the easton flatline arrows and now it is shooting 285 fps.  Has anyone tried them victory nano arrows?  I was told i could pick up about 15 fps by switching to these but they r expensive and really small diameter.  Not sure how much KE they will have compared to the easton's?

Return to Archery and Bowhunting