newbie to archery

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
scottflesher

RE: newbie to archery

Postby scottflesher » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Woodsie,
I see your point and hope that other hunters aren't looking for an easy way out. Bowhunting, particuarly wiht a long bow, requires patience, I think Jim said it wisely back in post # 11. "bowhunting is an exercise in patience."
Hopefully hunters don't read too much into those ads and see it as a way to assist in an ethical kill if variables happen beyond their control (deer reaction, gust of wind, yardage misjudgement, etc).
Anybody who reads more into it than that, should take partial responsiblity and not completely blame the advertisement, in my opinion.

mdbowhunter

Postby mdbowhunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 am

I use the Muzzy 100's. With my setup they shoot just like my field points, and get the job done. A big plus also is that they are very affordable. And of course Bad To The Bone lol. Good luck this year and be prepared to be hooked on archery.

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:59 am

I've shot NAP Thunderhead 125 since I started bowhunting in 1991. Be sure to take plenty of time to practice with the broadheads in place so that you know you can consistently place them in your target at varying ranges. As everyone knows, often the broadhead, whether fixed blade or expandable, will not shoot the same as field points. If that happens, then your bow is not really properly tuned.

To be consistently accurate at a wide range of distances, I must tune my bow with broadheads attached, which I do with the traditional paper tuning technigues.

Follow link for some tips on paper tuning.
http://www.papertuning.com/

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:19 pm

I shoot a 100 grain G5 Striker. My brother-in-law shoots a 125 grain Thunderhead. He had tried the 3 blade rage, but had trouble with penetration. So he went back to the Thunderhead.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting