newbie to archery

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Cut N Run

RE: newbie to archery

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Bowhunting is an exercise in patience. Just becuse you have a deer in range doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get a shot...or even get to pull the string back as far as that goes.

There are few feelings as satisfying in hunting as when you see your arrow-shot deer crash and know you are in for some trophy eating.

Good luck & have fun, no matter what broadhead you shoot.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:19 pm

I totally agree with all the other hunters, hunting with a bow has been more than an adventure for me, it has become my life. I have made some mistakes and have learned some lessons. Gun hunting as they say will become very boring.
Bow hunting will become very interesting because you will be out there when all the action is about to begin. Don't get winded and stay out of the prevailing wind.

Be safe, practice shooting while sitting down, and standing up, but most of all make sure that your bow and you are as quiet as you can be while wearing a good safety harness.

Falling out of a tree is not an option.

Best of luck to you this year!!!

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm

KINETIC ENERGY

Scottflesher
Something to think about: because you are hunting with such a high poundage you might want to increase your arrow weight and tip combo weight to 500 grains.

Not that you are ever going to need this much Kinetic Energy here is some info for you.
using a total weight of:
400 grains your KE will be 70 ft lbs
500 grains your KE will be 87 ft lbs

Pretty crazy
Just thought I would add that for you!!!

CONLEY14

Postby CONLEY14 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm

I HAVE USED THUNDERHEAD 125GR. MY WHOLE LIFE AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE OUT OF THEM. THEY ARE IN MY OPINION THE BEST HEAD ON THE MARKET HANDS DOWN, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THEM. LIKE ALL THE OTHERS HAVE SAID GUN HUNTING BECOMES BORING, IT BECAME SO EASY AND BORING TO ME, THAT I HAVE QUIT GUN HUNTING ALL TOGETHER IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. BOWHUNTING IS AWESOME AND YOU WILL SOON FIND OUT VERY ADDICTING. GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR FIRST YEAR.   

ohiomossyoak

Postby ohiomossyoak » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 pm

[font="arial"]I use Slick trick broadheads..But also think G5montecs are a great 1 piece head.2 blade magnus are great at what they do..An there are a few good mechanical/expandable heads out..mbcook maybe you could tell us more about your bowhunting rig.Things like make an model..Draw weight an draw length and what make an model an spine arrow.So we could get a better understanding of what will work well for you an your equipment[/font]

mbcook

Postby mbcook » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:03 am

WoodsWalker i appreciate that advise i think waiting for the shot and knowing where to place it will definitely be one of my biggest challenges this season.....OhioMossyoak my setup is a Hoyt ultramag, 60# draw weight, and 27.5 draw length, i am shooting pse carbon arrows and i have no idea their weight i picked them up from my local archery shop when i got the bow..... I also went and purchased some the of g5 montecs to try out a little before the season 

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 am

you've got a great set up, just have fun.  As someone said, I think Cut n Run, sometimes that deer is well within range but you just cannot move.  Those are some of the best times, once you realize you cannot shoot and resolve to enjoying the experience of being that close to a deer that does not know you are there. This is especially true if you hunt from the ground. 

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:02 pm

mbcook,I think You will be happy with the G5 broadheads,I was debating between those and the NAP HellRazors which about just about the same style and design of broadheads...I ended up getting the HellRazors in the end in case I was using my ground blind with the shoot-thru mesh windows.I also use a mechanical broadhead...I think they are Eagle Outfitter?

Either way after Hunting for the past 5-6 years with a Compound Bow I simply love it and it will give You more time out in the field to learn more about the Deer in your area and the rush of having a Deer in close is simply awesome...it will make You a better Hunter wether You have a Bow or Rifle in your hands!Good Luck and have a safe time Hunting.[;)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:24 am

...it will make You a better Hunter wether You have a Bow or Rifle in your hands

X2!!!!!!!

All the serious bowhunters I know (in fact, if you think about it, I don't think one can even BE a bowhunter without being serious about it!) are usually very efficient and successful gun hunters.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:24 pm

ORIGINAL: extroverted

KINETIC ENERGY

Scottflesher
Something to think about: because you are hunting with such a high poundage you might want to increase your arrow weight and tip combo weight to 500 grains.

Not that you are ever going to need this much Kinetic Energy here is some info for you.
using a total weight of:
400 grains your KE will be 70 ft lbs
500 grains your KE will be 87 ft lbs

Pretty crazy
Just thought I would add that for you!!!

Thanks for the note. Other than shooting thru a cronograph, which i can do, do you have any idea what it would do to my FPS with the above assumptions? I'll take all KE I can get, but not at the expense of too much FPS. I don't want to be shooting a 1000 ton freight train that takes 2 minutes to get 40 yards down range, if you get my metaphor.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting