New 2012-2013 Hunting Regs

DEER30

New 2012-2013 Hunting Regs

Postby DEER30 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:35 am

MD has adopted new bag limits for this season. In Region B, where I hunt, the buck bag limit has been cut in half to one per weapon. What do you think about this change? I personally welcome it with open arms! I have long declared that MD has the potential of producing BIG bucks. My yearly trail cam pix support that. But the problem is they never get the age needed to reach maturity and their maximum potential. I think that this will force hunters to be a little more selective when they only have one tag to fill with that weapon. Maybe they will hold out for a bigger deer.

One thing I never liked about MD's buck bag limits is that it is limited by weapon. If I get 3 tags this year, I feel that I should be able to shoot all three with a bow if I like because that is my preferred weapon. I understand that it is "easier" to kill a buck with a rifle and since the firearm season coincides with the rut, usually, more buck tags are likely to be filled. But it would be nice to have that flexibility.

Region B's doe limits are extremely liberal, unlimited bow and 10 for firearm and muzzleloader. A great population control tool and promotion incentive for MD hunters.

We have the food sources, genetics are good, we just need some age. I think MD is on the right track to improving the quality of the deer herd. Do you?

mhouck06

Re: New 2012-2013 Hunting Regs

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Im hunting maryland for the first time this year.. Heading down next thursday. I couldnt beleive how many bucks you can kill and even the extra tag if you kill two does. I dont know much about maryland, its hunters or the deer population really to have an opinion on how this would affect the dynamics of the herd.. Just surprised you can kill that many in a year followed by unlimited archery doe in region b. How is the buck to doe ratio down there?

DEER30

Re: New 2012-2013 Hunting Regs

Postby DEER30 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Sorry I didn't get back before your trip. But to answer your question late, I would guess that the buck to doe ratio is not good at all. Good being 3:1 or less does to buck. In my experience it is probably and I am just guessing, closer to 10:1. But the biggest issue is buck age. Now if you read my most recent post prior to this one you'll find I broke my own rule about shooting young bucks. My only excuse is that I had never had the opportunity at a velvet buck. Anyways, the deer are plentiful and shot opportunities numerous. The chance of encountering a big buck (125"+) is good. But do as I say not as I do and leave the youngins alone so they can get that big.

In my defense I had passed on several other bucks that were 2 1/2 or younger out of velvet. My buck was a great trophy for me to harvest in velvet and I am proud of him regardless, and now I am out of excuses. :)

I hope your trip went well.

Return to Maryland