Flash lights

JPH

RE: Flash Lights

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:41 pm

As a career firefighter for over 15 years, I know flashlights. Nobdody is going to test a flashlight more often or under tougher conditions than we do. If you can find a firefighter who hunts (not hard to do) they can all tell you what has worked for them b/c they always end up with their gear in their pickup and use it for field trails.

The Pelican[font=arial] [size=2]2000 Super Sabrelight is awesome. I have two of them and they have both been to hell and back withot fail. They operate on 3 c-cells and can be purchased at www.thefirestore.com for less than $25.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]They have an old school hallogen bulb that is focused to a narrow "smoke cutter" beam. Somehow, this makes blood light up like a beacon. [/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]I have one in my blood trailing kit and I HIGHLY reccomend them.[/font]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:53 pm

i still use my trusty mag lit mini and i have a headband style  light as well.i like that one cuz its hands free,i found it while hunting it was a lot lighter than my previous head lamp which was awkward and heavy
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:57 pm

thats the funny thing about flashlights, no one really pays attention to them until they need one. then either youre saying "thank god for this great light" or youre saying "this ******* piece of *****". my main issue i have run into is battery life. i like to use rechargable lights so im not buying batteries all the time, but the charge doesnt last long enough. i usually need to bust out both batteries to finish even a simple tracking job. my light is kinda cheap, im sure that doesnt help. ive been wanting to try some of the surefire lights, just havent wanted to spend the 100+ dollars on one.

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:28 am

HELLO GUYS I BOUGHT A PETZL HEADLAMP A COUPLE YEARS AGO IT HAS 3 ULTRA BRIGHT LONG LIFE BULBS I THINK IT IS THE BEST FLASHLIGHT I EVER OWNED IT ALSO HAS A RED LENSE WHEN YOU WALK TO YOUR DEER STAND [:)]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

As a career firefighter for over 15 years, I know flashlights. Nobdody is going to test a flashlight more often or under tougher conditions than we do. If you can find a firefighter who hunts (not hard to do) they can all tell you what has worked for them b/c they always end up with their gear in their pickup and use it for field trails.

The Pelican[font=arial] [size=2]2000 Super Sabrelight is awesome. I have two of them and they have both been to hell and back withot fail. They operate on 3 c-cells and can be purchased at www.thefirestore.com for less than $25.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]They have an old school hallogen bulb that is focused to a narrow "smoke cutter" beam. Somehow, this makes blood light up like a beacon. [/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]I have one in my blood trailing kit and I HIGHLY reccomend them.[/font]

Great topic guys! I've been wanting a good flashlight.  Thanks for the advice!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:36 am

Guys I found a rechargeable flashlight at Walmart for about $45, made by energizer I believe.  It has a 3W very bright LED and on one charge lasts up to 80 hours.  I've been on 2 and 3 day hunts and have yet to see it go dead.  The nice thing about it is I haven't had to buy batteries for over 2 years now.  With the price of lithium batteries before this flashlight I could spend $20 -$30 in batteries per hunting season, not any more.  Trust me, find a good rechargeable flashlight and spend the little extra for it, you'll more than make up for it in battery savings. 

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

I have had a Pelican for years and they are hard to beat, but the Streamlight Stylus Pro is the best pocket flashlight I have ever used. It takes 2 4A batteries and will burn bright for 40 HRS. Great for a back up...

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Sorry my mistake the Stylus Pro takes triple A batteries

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:36 am

I went to a small SureFire last year. Unbelievable amount of illumination for its size. The Lithium batteries it takes are a little pricey but this little mini-mag size light completely lights up the side of my neighbors huge barn 120 yards away. I like the adjustable on-off or continous on feature too. I dropped it in a creek the other night. It couldn't have cared less.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:42 am

I do not know about the various lights that people have recomended, but LED bulbs are not optimal from blood trailing.

Try this little experiment. Gather up a handful of dry leafs and mark them with small spots, using a red sharpie. Then scatter these leafs out in your yard. Go out after dark and see how easy it is to locate the dots. Compare flashlights, side by side.

Next

Return to Misc. Accessories