Cell Phone GPS

DeanoZ

Cell Phone GPS

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:30 am

I've been in the market for a GPS with Topo capability.  Needless to say they run the gamete in terms of cost and performance most starting around $250 for a decent one.  Then it occurred to me that most cell phones have a GPS capability and upon further research you can actually download the goggle navigator to your cell phone (most cell phones, I have a BB) and it will give you pretty good idea where your at, except only to about 1500 meters.  Not the level of accuracy I desire, nor does it have a Topo graphic map capability.  I don't know if anyone esle has messed around with this technology, but I'm looking for an applet or download for my cell phone with Topo capability...if anyone knows of such an applet help a brother out!  I'll keep looking and if I find it will definitely share.  I bring my BB in the woods anyway, might as well kill two birds with one stone.

jrich

Re: Cell Phone GPS

Postby jrich » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 am

There is a deer app for the iphone called Deer Scouter that allows you to pin deer sign for your hunting area and overlays it on a google earth map of where you are hunting. It does not necessarily do exactly what you want but for $1.99, it will help your cause. I have it and love the app. It is easy to use and I can mark sightings, scrapes, stands, blood trails, etc. and study my pins and it is like putting a puzzle together. I have been using it for a month and I am excited for this year's hunting season to use it more. Good luck.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:41 am

My cell phone has a gps on it, but I don't get good enough reception to use it where I hunt! Check phone reception if you don't get at least 2 bars at all times its hard...I have an e-trex, I found a friend that had all the maps dled to his computer...works like a champ..I only use it on gamelands and property I am in-familiar with..

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:44 am

Ps I purchased my gps on a refurbished site cheap, gave me a warrenty..have not had an issue purchased 4 years ago...

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I use a hand held GPS unit daily, and I have never had a problem. But the GPS for the phones depend on towers. and reception is not good enough for good intel. I would reccomend you reconcider. You can get a good Magellan Explorer of simalar model with topo for a couple of hundred, Or you can Ebay a used or refurbished unit with all the cables, chargers, dash mounts, ect for 50-100bucks. I saw My Magellan On Ebay with all the bells and whistels reconditioned , for $40. I paid @200. for mine new, and about $100. for the MapSend TOPO, CD, and the power cords, ect. GPS units work off the sattalites, not the towers, and have a much more reliable feed. Any questions? Ask. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Follow-up. I have been using both my hand-held GPS, and my cell phone GPS for a couple of months now. I am a service tech, and I am driving 2-5 hours per day on average. The phone GPS is quick, can grab the address in a couple of button pushes, give turn by turn directions, and will go off towers and WIFI if it can't get a satalite signal. However, it seeks a satalite at each request. And that causes delays when overcast,or poor weather.Some times it has taken more than an hour to get a GPS signal My Magelin Meridian Gold has lost signal one day that I know of, and could not reaquire for most of the day. Beyond that, it has never failed me. It is clearly the better GPS unit for making sure I get where I need to be, but the phone GPS is lighter, quicker on clear days, and no additional weight, but for reliability, the True GPS is clearly more trustworthy.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon May 28, 2012 3:14 pm

I went down to my hunting property with just my phone GPS this weekend, and due to the heavy overcast, it failed to function as a GPS. It could not lock onto sats, and without wifi hotspots to assist, it could not do it's job. :(

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm

I don't have that problem with mine. It works under all conditions, day or night, and it never needs batteries.

But best of all, even I can't lose or break it!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue May 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I don't know about that, There are times I think you HAVE lost it! ;)

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu May 31, 2012 5:12 am

Hey now! It's not nice to make fun of old people! Besides.....didn't you ever hear the expression, "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill?"

I think of that everytime I see some grizzled faced, roman nosed, 250+ pound old buck that's survived 5 or more hunting seasons....that is unless he's on property where they practice affirmative action for deer....... :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Misc. Accessories