First Day

Thwack35

First Day

Postby Thwack35 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:44 am

The first day of archery is fast approaching and I still can't decide what stand to hunt for the first morning. I hunt public land so trying to determine where other hunters will be will play a role in my stand selection as well. How about you guys...You have a stand ready for the opener??

woodsalta

RE: First Day

Postby woodsalta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:35 am

Oh yeah! Oct 12th can't come fast enough. I've got a stand in the back yard of a friends mother who said that she is sick of the deer eating all her trees. I almost feel over when she told me and I quote, "I want you to get the little ones with the spots, the brown ones and ALL the big ones with the antlers!", and to boot it's on Columbus day WOOHO! I'm acually taking my 8 year old daughter out with me because she loves hunting as much as I do.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Thwack35

Postby Thwack35 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Woodsalta thats awesome about your daughter going. I have 2 little girls and when they get a little older there heading out with me as well. My 4yr old goes to the 3D range with me now and loves it.
Thats a sweet gig falling into your buddys parents property like that. Goodluck

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Thwack- thanks she sometimes "gets in trouble" in school for telling the other kids about hunting. It ticks me off that on parent night that I have to tell the teacher that our family is a hunting family. I told the teacher that and after the meeting went into the hallway and there was a big poster that said "we shall do no harm to animals". I looked at my wife and was like OOPS! Oh well to late! good luck this season!

BerkHunter

Postby BerkHunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm

I am pumped i cant wait.  I hunt public land also and i have a spot picked out that i have never hunted before.  Cant wait.  I live in western mass. Any one live on my end of the state?

reKor11

Postby reKor11 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:57 am

Beautiful morning, good spot, no deer as usual haha.  Hopefully this cold weather stays with us.  Anyone have any luck this morning?  Berkhunter I am in western mass also, Williamstown area.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 am

Oh how it feels to be back in the woods!!! I took my daughter out this morning and no sooner than we get in the stand (I didn't even pull my bow up yet) we had 4 nice does right at the woodline behind some trees! My daughters hands were shaking like a leaf and so were mine. They mulled around for 15-20 minutes and just walked away in the wrong direction!! (stupid deer!) What a sight, I almost had some meat for the freezer and for camp on my trip to NY for their early muzzleloader season! I'm planning to hunt this area quite often!!!

Thwack35

Postby Thwack35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:28 pm

I didn't see anything this morn. but took a nice 4pt in the afternoon. He was only 10yds away double lungs hit. Rage 2 blades did the trick he only ended up running 35yds after the hit. Pumped as this is my first deer in MA!!!

Thwack35

Postby Thwack35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm

sry about the photo...dont know how to resize it

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:53 am

Congrats Thwack!! Nice one!! My daughter and I are going out this afternoon to try our luck again. I thought Id leave the stand alone but it's in someone's back yard and the deer are used to the smells and all noises there. I hope to get lucky as it would be the first deer my daughter and I will shot together and not lost to coyotes!!

Next

Return to Massachusetts