deer sighted

Proline

RE: deer sighted

Postby Proline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Saw my first Mass deer of the season Sat eve.  Had a grunting 5pt come across the front the stand at 4:40 and stop in a pine thicket 40 yard to my right. Two small does came in from the my left behind me and fed for few mins. Then another doe came out the thicket where the buck was. Mind you he was grunting like a pig. After 5 mins I figure I had to close the deal on big doe because he wouldn't come out.  Shot her and she ran. I heard her crash. The other two just scampered off about 20 yds and stopped. Then the buck came out! Shot him too! What a hunt. Never had anything like that. 

thule

Postby thule » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:01 am

Proline that is fantastic! Congrats..

Did you use any calls? What time did you head into the woods? I'm asuming this all took place in the Rowley area? I too hunt Rowley, Ipswitch, Topsfield and Georgetown.

Best

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:15 am

Was in Georgetown.  I climbed into my stand at 3PM. Dragged a rag in and hung rag in front of stand.  The buck came grunting in exactly parallel to drag line and stayed 10 yards off the line and 40 yards out. I hit the can 2x to make him turn but he didnt. Not sure if he smelled it but he was walking head up and grunting like a pig. The 3 does all smelled the rag in front of my stand and did not get alarmed. I watched feed for a while before I shot. If you have permission in Topsfield you are a lucky guy. I would be hunting that area hard.  Concentration of deer in that town is good. Just cant get in there..............

thule

Postby thule » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am

Your right on with Topsfield. Last year I was out behind my buddy's house just taking a walk in the woods. On my way back in I spotted a doe whom slipped on the ice and is back leg was caught underneath a frozen branch. Long story short it ended up in the ice box at my house.

On your drag line. Did you use doe urine or doe in estrus? Where did you get it?

Any predictions on the rut? When will it start?

Thanks

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:27 pm

I used estrus doe in heat and I only buy from here www.hoosiertrappersupply.com

I am not a big scent user and only use it during the rut and not everytime out.

I have been hunting the north shore since 1994 when I moved there.  If I had to pick 10 days to be in woods on the north shore it would always be 11/10 - 11/20.

290is

Postby 290is » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm

nice shooting proline, I've always thought about the presentation of 2 deer???? how did you drag both of them out??

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Got my son to help!  Without that it would have taken hours!  The only thing I hate about shooting them in the afternoon is tracking with a flashlight.  Takes alot of time. I wacked these two deer good but it still took time.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Congrats Proline! Any pics? I haven't seen any deer since before opening day in my stand in Weston. I do see them while driving to and from work though. I'm going out tomorrow and see what I can find. Hopfully the contractor next door isn't working on Veteran's Day! The guys at the gun club have seen the deer running with their noses to the ground in the Maynard/Concord/Sudbury area, I'll keep you all posted.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Here you go

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Try again

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts