Field Notes Michigan

Demoderby4

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:27 am

What do ya guys think? The coldest morning so far, in my area, this year will be tom, i was already heading out in the afternoon but im thinking about going out in the morning now also... you think the weather will get em moving around sunrise when it starts to get warmer? (I wish i could tolerate getting up early lol) thats the only reason i ask lol.

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:18 am

Get out there as early as you can Demo. The colder it is, the better. Especially when cold fronts move in, deer move like crazy. In order to keep their body temp up deer move a lot in cold weather. I sure wish I could be out in the woods, it seems like every time I get to go home and hunt, there ends up being a warm front moving through and I get stuck hunting in 60 degree weather. I'm ready for crunchy frosted leaves and snow flakes, that'll get em moving!
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:23 am

That's probably what I'll end up doing lol, i don't like getting up that early, but once I'm on my way I'll forget about the sleep i have missed lol, Yeah its supposed to get into the low twenties and still be there (well feel like the low 20's) by the time sunrise is, so hopefully when they see that sun they will start moving. I have to come in at about 11 to go pick out classes for the winter :/ I really hope to see something tomorrow! I have a good feeling!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Shot a doe at 6:44 tonight. Never found her.. wont be using Rage again.. I have a strange feeling it never opend.. say it cant happen. But after rethinking things in my head and the terriable specks of blood. I just got that feeling. I hit her and she flipped around, let out a loud growl then fell down 2 more tiems letting out growls before stagering and then running off. It was a cold night and wind to the north east.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:31 pm

That's good to hear you finally got a shot off DeerCamp, but that's really disappointing about the recovery, especially when you put your hard earned money into "the best" broad head on the market as some would say and you have had multiple failures with em if i can recall right. It's very frustrating. I bought some Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows (very expensive for 6) and all but one of the knocks have came off at some point when i shot them and 4 have broken in half from barely any resistance on them, the most recent one im not even sure what happend, i looked to my quiver and went to pull one out to knock it in, and it was broke, idk whats wrong with me or with the arrows... im thinking it really is the arrows since im down to one already.... im not pleased at all with them, i would never reccomend them! Esp. with the ridiculous price for that quality! Are you going out tomorrow to look for her? If you do good luck! Im going out tom morning and evening, hopefully i'll at least see something!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah, I looked for her this morning instead of hunting. No luck, couldnt find anything after the last little bit of blood...

On the bright side, I shot a nice 3pt tonight.  He came in at 6:06 from the south. Funny as that is because the wind was blowing to the north. The shot was quatering away. I saw him run off. I got down from my stand at 6:34 and followed the blood trail, after 21 yards he laid there. He droped where I had last seen him. Other than that I saw a doe and two fawns and passed on them. It was windy and blowing to the north. The buck's neck is big. I think that they are really starting to heat up.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Congrats on the buck Deercamp! Lets see a pic. Using the g5?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:49 pm

Thank's Goose! Well I know I was very bummed with the way the Rage had worked out for me. However, when I got out of school I just grabed my gear and went to the woods. I didnt have time to change to the G5's or re-site in my bow to them. I figured Id have enough time to get out there and hunt for a few hours and that'd Id make the change tomorrow. It's a good thing I waited huh? Any how yes, Ill post some pics real soon. I am on our new computer and this vista is really different, once I figure it out I'll post them.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Well i had a pretty exciting day today, finally! Went out this morning since it was the coldest morning we have had. Didn't see much until it started to warm up a little. It was about 10:15 and i did a few rattling sequences over the hours and got nothing i was getting pretty discouraged again. I went to go do another at about 10:30 but decided not to when i heard walking behind me. I slowly turned and looked but didn't see anything. I kept looking over in that direction for a few mins, then i went to go grab my rattling bag and i accidentally hit it with my elbow and it clanked against the tree and i heard the deer scurry off a little, she already knew something wasn't right somehow :/ i looked over and i started to call and she stopped. i saw her through some think cover standing in a tall grassy field, it was a pretty big doe. She stomped a few times then quickly walked off into a different section of woods.

I was pretty bummed after that, the one time i see a deer in like 2 weeks and i screw it up :/

My buddy called me up at 2:30 and said he was going out at like 3:00 so i said i would meet him up there and head out for the evening, i was still pretty bummed about earlier but i knew getting back out there would be the only way that i could get over it lol. I got out and sitting at about 4ish. Didn't see anything until about 6:10, little did i know it was the same deer my buddy just saw right before it got to my section of woods, he couldn't get a shot off when the deer first went by and then the deer stood at the entrance to my woods eating some leafs and me and my buddy talked about the deer over walkie talkies quickly and he told me it was coming and i told him i would be ready but if he could get it back to his stand he could have it since he saw him first (i didn't know it was a buck, it had some damage to its rack and i have terrible eyes so i thought it was a doe the whole time :/ but he hit his primos buck roar a few times and called the buck right back to him, it as really cool to see ( we were pretty close together stand wise and i could see the whole thing unfolding) the deer headed straight to his stand and i knew he was gonna get a shot, i heard him shoot and the buck took off for a while then started limping by where he came by my woods earlier, he walked off and into the section where i saw the doe earlier. I knew something went wrong when saw him limping.

I waited a few mins then we met i asked him how it went and, i already knew the answer, he missed. He showed me his bow and the string had snapped on release causing the arrow to go nowhere near where he wanted, he hit its hoof and it took off. I felt really bad for him, but it was great too see some deer and a buck finally! After not seeing anything for a while. hopefully this trend continues, only we are having back straps right now!!!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:58 pm

Congrats on the buck DeerCamp! Good to hear you got some action and were able to down him! I'm seeing a lot more bucks during daylight, im getting more and more excited every hunt! Can't wait to see the pics!

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan