Field Notes Michigan

DeerCamp

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:57 am

Well I went out last night on Halloween. I must say that I really love hunting on Halloween. I have hunted it for the past 10 years and have seen lots of bucks and deer on that day. So like anyother Halloween I headed for the woods. It was a warm one. The hunt started with it being 71 out. When I left the stand it was 68. There was hardly any wind, but the little wind there was, was blowing to the north most of the night.  I got in stand at 3:37 and hunted till 7:21. I tryed grunting with no luck. I think next time Im going to bring the calls and the antlers and hit it a few times. Im going to take my decoy out too. Cant hurt anything. Anyways I was very bummed that I didnt see a deer. It marks the 1st time ever in 10 hunt's on Halloween. I didnt even see one driving out. But hey that happens right? That's what makes deer hunting fun is you never know. 

Anyone eles get out in the woods and try to be a ghostbuster for a ghost buck?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:24 am

Congrats on the buck Deercamp!

Friday I saw decent 4 pointer chasin around 3 doe for about 10 min. Def looks like the pre-rut/chase phase could be heating up. I'm headin out on Tue to hunt in PA for a week, good luck until then! Hopefully I'll have some good news.
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:37 am

Was hoping to get out there today but i just came down with a terrible cold sunday night. i have been bed-ridden the last few days, it sux. It has been warm out though, at least it hasn't been like 35-40 degree's these days lol. i just wanna get out there again, i hate being stuck inside!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:37 am

Whel,

Today I am off to Buffalo County, WI for my annual bowhunting trip.  It's too bad that Decker got my buck[:D].  Just kiddin'.  In any case, hope to see a bruiser half the size of his at least on my 5 days of hunting out there.  It may be difficult being that I don't use an outfitter or guiding service out there, just got a chance to hunt 1 week a year with my bow at a college buddies parent's land.  I can't wait, last year we saw a 160-170 class buck about 150 yds out sparring with a 140 or so and couldn't get either one to commit and never saw them the rest of the week, hopefully this year one will pass right below me.  Good luck everyone and will post some pics if the good lord graces me with a bounty.  I'm so pumped and wired today at work I can barely sit still, like a little kid!!! HA[&:] 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 am

Good luck dmcianfa! Yeah thats too bad Decker got your buck [;)] maybe their will be another out there waiting for ya! I can't wait to get back out there later this week. Im going to Gander Mountain tomorrow, my buddy wants to get a muzzleloader, they are having a great sale on all that stuff fthis week around here, im hoping to walk away with a decent scope for my black diamond [:)] but good luck! And let us know how it went when ya get back.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:20 pm

Good luck dmcianfa! Im sure youll bring home a deer! Hope you see the 2 ya did last season.

As for myself, I am going to be hanging up my bow till the 11th. I have a lot of work ahead of me with school. Ill be in the UP from the 11-22nd Hunting so I cant complain about taking a little time off. On the bright side, I got my deer and this will give my area some time to rest. Im a little scared about all the other hunters hunting by me.. But well see how it goes.

As for weather it has been really hot here 70's +. I havent seen many deer driving to school. However I did see a few laying on the side of the road. No bucks.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Heading up to Port Austin, Huron County. Anybody seen any action up there?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:49 am

cjgaleana, i hunt up there sometimes, more by bad axe, but their is a lot of rubs/scrapes etc.. all over the place where im at, looks like they are getting ready and prob. seeking some right now, good luck! im sure u will see something if you put the time in. There is always tons a deer up there!

Pieguy

Postby Pieguy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:13 pm

I hunt in the Caseville area. While hunting last week-end I saw good activity on saturday evenings hunt but sunday nothing due to the increased hunter pressure. There where a lot of hunters getting ready for the firearm opener which caused the deer to hand tight. I saw good buck sign so hopefully the rut will hit just in time for the opener. Good luck to everyone next week-end shoot staight and be safe.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:40 am

Yeah the peak of the rut will be right when gun season starts and into that week, im pretty excited for it, hoping to take a few deer out lol :)

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan