Field Notes Michigan

Demoderby4

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:03 pm

The chasing phase of the rut will be upon us in just under a week... just in time for gun season. Who else is as excited as i am?!? Can't wait to get out in the woods, i have wed, sat and sunday for sure to be out there all day, and possibly more if i get my lazy a** out of bed ;) this is my favorite part of the year. Hopefully we all get some sort of action out there!!

SamPottsFan

Postby SamPottsFan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:46 am

New to the forum, but this is a nice outlet for someone who moved away from his hunting buddies. Guess if your going to do it, Michigan is one of the better states to move to-good experience so far.

Got this Wed, Thurs and Fri. off, trying to get one with my bow-thats my preference. Two saturdays ago I had a batch group of 8 bucks, only two mature-they were sparring pretty intense (the two mature ones) I had grunted in a small one and once he showed up all the others gathered. First time seeing that. The next morning I missed one of the two mature bucks-fortunately clean and he even stuck around 30 mins before moving on. Haven't hunted the spot sense, looking to this week.

Anybody hunting southwestern michigan?

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:50 am

Whel,

I got back from Buffalo County, WI Sunday night after 3.5 hard days of hunting.  It rained and sleeted profously for 3 days straight and kept the herd out there at bay.  Hardly seen any action compared to last year at this time, so maybe the rut out there hasn't kicked off quite yet.  In any case, saw 6 or so does, but no bucks in tow on any of them.  The bucks I did see were not shooters for standards out there and I must say I can count on one hand how many I saw.  My buddy, however, saw a 140 giving a doe a chase in a pasture the last morning we hunted when the rain quit and it got cold.  The weather really put a damper on everything as we were soaked after an hour in the stand every day.  I was in the perfect setup with the wind in my face where three ridges meet together and it overlooks a swamp.  Dynamite rubs the size of my thighs and at least 3 community scrapes the size of a car door with licking branches all within 20-50 yrds of me.  They weren't touched for three days straight, weird.  The deer I did see wouldn't respond to any type of calling, rattling, or scent I threw at them.  I was very careful in my approaches and very scent eliminating savvy as well, I think the weather really put things in a stalemate for me out there.  In any case, got my doe for next year's earn a buck, so the trip wasn't a total loss.  I did see some dandy's in the back of some trucks though and there were TV show teams out there the last couple weeks.  Think I may have to look at the calendar a little harder next year and plan things a little later. Huntin's better than working, but I sure do hope people had more success than me lately!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

ironmike

Postby ironmike » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:49 am

ben out for about the last two weeks. and seen deer every night i went out doe mostly .
seen a nice buck across the field chasing a doe around the other day. I could see his rack.
got my feild glassed out for a better look it was a big eight point. seen a small fork out the
next day in the same feild. last night had two little one about ten feet from me the one
had a silver look to it. i was in a chair blind on the ground they came by twice . i sit in a
bunch of rasberry that are over my when setting in my blind.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:34 am

Went out this morning, got out late, i wasnt even in my stand when the sun was up :/ but i sat until about 1030, before i got up and walked around some to set up a spot for my dad for this weekend. But at about 9:38 i did a tending grunt sequence and at 9:43 i heard a buck grunt a couple times to my left and behind me, i slowly turned that way and called back, he called back again, i started to rattle a lil bit and he came closer, and grunted a lil more aggressively. After that i didnt hear from him again :/ i once again could not figure out exactly where he was, its so thick over there. But it was cool to "talk" with one for about 5 mins. Going back out in like 20 mins for the night. Then i won't be out until the weekend for the gun opener. Good luck to all!!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:35 am

I'm heading out to Hillsdale tomorrow morning, I'm gonna bow hunt all tomorrow and gun hunt on Saturday. I was out there a few weeks ago and had a 6 point at 30 yards. It was the first time I rattled one in. He was out in the corn/ soybean field. I rattled and he came running. I never got a shot, there was a tree in my way. He did show me a thing or two, I found his rub line and he also showed me a group of white oaks that I over looked. I'm hoping he will give me a shot this weekend. Also theres a huge 10 or 12 point that no one has been able to get a shot at. I saw him in 2006 right at dark, man he's a biggin.

Hopfully I can add a picture to our buck pole.
Good luck everyone

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 am

I didnt have any luck last night, i work today and friday so my next day out will be the gun opener. Heading up the the thumb for the weekend. That land has treated me well and i really like the spots i have picked out for me and my dad. Hopefully we'll be filling some tages this weekend! Good luck to everyone!! The rut is just around the corner...

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 am

Heading to the woods tomorrow for the opener!!!! God, I can't wait.  Perfect timing with the rut this year.  I'm seeing more and more daytime travellers on my way to work.  I feel like a little kid getting ready to go to the carnival today.  Will not be posting for a good two weeks after I get back from deer camp.  Talk to everyone then and fill them in with hopefully some pics.  Later
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Yeah thank god the rut will be on tomorrow, it would be pretty hard for me to get up at 3 to drive 2 hrs away and go out there if the weather is supposed to be so terrible and they were in say like the breeding phase :( lol! They should be moving pretty well regardless tomorrow, good luck to you dmciafa! As well as everyone else. It will be nice to have a gun in my hands tomorrow rather than a bow! I love bow hunting but i won't have to settle for 35-30 yd shots! lol!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Well as i was hoping, holding a gun in my hand is much more lethal than me holding a bow! lol Shot a doe today at 10:02 up in the thumb. She came in with a bout 3 others and i still had my state gun doe tag unused so i decided to take her. The smallest one came in first and was about 20 yards away from me but i neglected to take her, she was pretty small, i didnt see any other deer at the time and she was about to walk off into the field then i saw another tail go up and she was a pretty good sized doe, but she was about 60 yards out and i gave the can call a few turns and pulled her and another smaller doe into about 30-35 yards and took her there.

I didnt see any blood where i shot her, but i know i hit her, she acted like it and took off running. I could not find any blood for like 35-45 mins so i was pretty discouraged, after that i sat and was beating myself up at thinking i missed since i saw no blood.

My dad also shot a doe (much bigger than mine and i now i need to shoot another one to shut him up lol) at about noon (to those who wonder if deer move in the rain, yes deer tend to move in the rain, i heard many shots during the day when it was raining) And he told me to come over and help him track his, well we tracked his and came across mine so it was a pretty good day!

I'll probly head back up there tomorrow too, its nice to have some deer come by and have a change of scenery, maybe i will even come across a buck ;) good luck to all of ya guys!!

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan