Gratiot County trip

Sailfish

Gratiot County trip

Postby Sailfish » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:09 am

Opening day saw 43 deer.

19 deer (all doe) ran across my line of vision periodically throughout the morning and evening, all but two came from the south and were heading northwest.
However just around 11 to the southeast a herd of 21 deer blasted out of the edge of a cornfield, ran northwest across an empty beanfield and went back into another field of corn. Too far for any sort of shot for me. 2 were bucks. One bailed out of the group and headed straight to my cousin. Nice 5 point down. The other, larger buck slipped away.

Monday was slower, approx 5-6 deer spotted, all doe except one. I changed stands this day and wouldn't you know a buck came out and stood next to it (my original stand)!! I scoped him from my new stand, 1000-1200 yards away.
Saw nice set of horns (big 6 or smallish 8). Watched him run across a field, disappear in a crick, pop out on the other side and headed straight for corn, took a 90 degree turn and headed straight to me. Sadly however, he never slowed down from his slow trot, and never got closer than 340 yards before turning back into some corn @#@$(

As the week progressed the winds shifted constantly, hunting was tougher, rain an wind til my last hunt friday morning.

I never saw another buck, I did come home with a nice doe that dressed at @110-120#.

My uncle took a 6 point with dandy brow tines. He's 82, and said it was his best deer in his life. It was a beautiful buck, just beautiful. Other cousin took a fork with his son (6) on their first hunt together!

The stand on the property behind me (where I sat day two) took a 138 gross buck on Nov 14th (and he was running with a larger one!).

Overall, probably best year in 3-4 years for sightings (~60) and quality of bucks is getting better. More than likely do to the corn not getting harvested at all last year and still in the ground this year. I'm thinking next year we'll have some more dandy's with them getting to hide out in the 1000 acres of standing corn.

I think opening day is Monday next year. I'll prolly ship up my archery equipment early, and fly in Friday again and shoot bow for a couple days and go after that 150+ that'll be running around [;)]

Rotten pic, but here she is.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

WiredToHunt

RE: Gratiot County trip

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:55 am

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome trip. Wish I was seein that many deer!
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

69Viking

RE: Gratiot County trip

Postby 69Viking » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 am

Congrats, sounds like a great trip. I was in Alabama this weekend and didn't see a single deer. Maybe I need to find a hunting gig up North LOL!

Return to Michigan