Anybody seeing any action?

Bowhunting Junkie

Anybody seeing any action?

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:45 am

I was just wondering if anybody was seeing any action? I have been primarily hunting in the Mason area. I have hunted a little in the Battle Creek area. I thought with the cool weather we have been experiencing that there would be all kinds of movement. I have not seen that much. Niether has a friend in Battle Creek. I have seen a little doe movement but not much. I had a deer come close to my stand a couple of nights ago but to dark to shoot. I was just wondering if it was just me that was getting skunked. I need venison for the freezer and I am gettting frustrated. Would love some feedback, Thanks.

tnt1960

RE: Anybody seeing any action?

Postby tnt1960 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 am

I hunt just outside of Lapeer, and it`s been real slow there also. I think that the full moon last week had a lot to do with it. Plus, without baiting, all the deer seem to be hanging out in all the corn fields that still are up. They have everything they need there. They have food, cover, and shelter. Until all the corn is cut, I think it`s going to be slow for a while. Hopefully the rut will get them moving soon!
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I was just wondering if it was just me. There has also been a lot of rainy, windy days. I don't think rain always puts deer down. But I have really never had much success hunting in the wind. It got awful windy down here for a couple of nights. Plus like you said they probably don't have much motivation to move. I was thinking that the freezing temps. at night might start to kill off some of the browse they are eating. Maybe forcing them to move more. I am not an expert, just had a lot of time on stand to think about this stuff!

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Last weekend it was crazy. Deer everywhere and they don't know they're being hunted yet. Bucks are sparring pretty good, and a few are chasing already. I took tomorrow off to sit in a tree. East winds though. :(

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Where are you hunting at Honeyhole?

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Farwell, Clare area but my buddy's and relatives in other parts of the state are saying the same thing. This cold weather and the fact that beans are starting to come off got them moving. 

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 pm

ORIGINAL: Bowhunting Junkie

I have hunted a little in the Battle Creek area.

Where at in Battle creek? My family have hunted alot at Fort Custer, but not this year. There hunt is on a Wednesday this year and we can do that day. Its a real bummer. That area has some huge bucks. I was out only on the 2nd of Oct, I can't get back out until Nov 14th. I can't wait, I'm hoping to see the 10 point I saw on Oct 2nd.

Best of luck everyone.

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm

My in-laws live out by Binder Park zoo. So I hunt out there. That use to be the only place I could hunt. Since I live in Haslett it was kind of a pain. The last couple of years I have hunted a property in Mason. I am hoping for some action in the next couple of days. I will be hunting tom. in Mason. The weekend I will be in Battle Creek.

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:17 pm

I was up in Port Austin and I had a 4 point come up right in front of me at about 35 yards. I wanted to take it but I'm gonna wait for the bigger guy. Other than that I haven't seen anything other than a few does. Lets get this rut going!!!

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Saw 9 does and 1 buck tonight. Does came a little short of my stand for a good shot. They headed into the woods. About 20 minutes later 6 point comes out and follows thier path to a tee. I grunted at him a little but he didn't care. He wanted to follow the girls. Back at it tomorrow!

Next

Return to Michigan