Anybody seeing any action?

DeerCamp

RE: Anybody seeing any action?

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:52 am

Not seeing a whole lot down here either... (Midland.) Gonna give things a shot tonight and see what happens.

"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Not seeing a whole lot down here either... (Midland.) Gonna give things a shot tonight and see what happens.

DC- I came down Kent Road Tuesday evening around 7pm, and deer were everywhere. In fact I had 2 6pointers run right in front of me. Some farmers are pulling beans off already and I think it's stirring them up. I drive that road almost every day at first light and last light and I see many more at night.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 am

Hmmmm kent road huh?..Im drawling a blank right now as to where thats by? I know Ive heard of it.. But thats deff good if your seeing deer and the farmers are getting them moving.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:11 am

Kent Road runs parrallel to Freeland Road. Just south. We're seeing lot's of deer right now, but that east and NE winds is heck! 

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:22 am

ORIGINAL: tnt1960

I hunt just outside of Lapeer, and it`s been real slow there also. I think that the full moon last week had a lot to do with it. Plus, without baiting, all the deer seem to be hanging out in all the corn fields that still are up. They have everything they need there. They have food, cover, and shelter. Until all the corn is cut, I think it`s going to be slow for a while. Hopefully the rut will get them moving soon!

O man tnt1960, you stole my animation avatar.  Dang, I thought I was the only one on the whole site with this one.  Let's keep it to us two huh.  LOL
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:03 pm

If you are waiting for the corn to come down, you are in for a long wait.  With the unseasonably cold summer, the corn is way behind schedule for drying down enough to be harvested for grain.  Even the high moisture corn isn't coming down.  The farmers are just about done chopping their corn.  Corn is chopped into wagons and stored in bunks or piles to be fed to the cows either immediately or sometime later. So, if you have been lucky enough to be hunting over one of these cut corn fields, you are probably not posting on here because you are to busy watching all of the deer in front of your stands.

The beans are definatly coming down very quickly.  The only problem is, these fields are being immediately planted off to winter wheat.  Which is bad for now, but much better for late season when it starts coming in.

BTW.  Seeing many deer, lots of sparring and sighting a few shooters.  Just nothing close enough to shoot yet. 

Still holding out for MR. BIG!
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 am

We cut some corn for decorations for a wedding last weekend, and after looking at the cobs, it'll be a long time before it comes down. The kernels are very moist yet. Some beans are coming down, but I think they're being dried.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:43 am

I hunted up in the St. Johns area (NW of Lansing) from Sat to Wed of last week. A group of two does and a small 4pt buck were moving pretty good, saw them every day. We think they're last years deer, still pretty small and I think they knew I wasn't going to shoot them because they hung out right in front of my stand the whole time testing my patience.

Switched up stands a bit and saw three good looking does in a real thick area but wasn't able to get a shot. They all seem to be sticking to their cover still.

We glassed some good looking bucks in a field down the road a bit, they were out in the cut field and ran to the standing corn when they had enough of us.

Most of the corn is still up here and I think that is part of the reason. A few local guys are starting to cut so that should be good.

I know a few guys who put does in their freezer already but nothing crazy and no good bucks yet. Seems to be slow everywhere.

Heard a bit of fighting early Wed morning. My stand overlooks a natual field with a really thick section of shrubbery in the middle. Wind was in my favor for two days and didn't see ANY movement out of there, I thought they weren't around. Then all of a sudden I see about 8 tails in the air hauling butt out of the cover into the surrounding woods. Not sure what spooked them. Deer are there they are just laying low still.

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:36 pm

here in isabella county, remus area, i have seen a few does early season and thats it. the other day i sat and i saw nothing! then the very next morning my aunt said she saw a real nice big 8-point that thy have seen a few other times. i have yet to see this deer but i have seen sme big tracks around and i am hoping one of these mornings he will make the mistake of walking in front of my stand! ready for the rut to kick in! good luck and keep us posted on your sucess or unsucessful hunts! lol
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Have not been out since Monday. I did not see anything that night. Everybody I have talked to in the Lansing and Battle Creek area are still saying things have been slow. Going out this weekend, I'm hoping to get something to put in the freezer.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan