Michigan record bear.

Wanderer

Michigan record bear.

Postby Wanderer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 pm

Hey Michiganders,
I just got an e-mail from a buddy of mine who hunts Newaygo area. Seems a guy up that way shot what appears to be the second biggest bear ever taken in the Wolverine state. The only one larger was never officially scored so this guy would have the record after the drying out period. I'll attach the story and a link to a local TV station.Story written by Sarah Sell.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article ... yid=114173

NEWAYGO COUNTY, Mich. (WZZM)- A Kent City man has some bragging rights after shooting, what could be, one of the biggest black bears found in Michigan. It's skull measured just under 23 inches.

"Oh, it was just really overwhelming", says Don Corrigan. The avid hunter says he waited nine years for a bear tag from the State of Michigan. When he finally got one this year, he went to Newaygo County with his 10 year old son and a family friend. They spotted the bear on their trail camera. "I didn't really know how big the bear was. Knew it was maybe 300 pounds. He actually dressed or weighed 440 pounds."

When Don spotted the bear, it was less than 40 yards away. It took just one shot from his rifle to bring the bear down. "It wasn't until the next day, when I showed him to people. I didn't really realize how big he was until then."

Don immediately had the bear scored by an official measurer from the Boone and Crockett Club. That's a national conservation organization the keeps records of big game. "It's definitely number two in Michigan. There's another one that scored 23. This one scored 22 15/16."

According to Boone and Crockett, Don's bear, if verified, will likely be the biggest ranked bear in Michigan. Right now, nationally, the biggest was 23 10/16th's, taken from Utah in 1975. But, the largest bear ranked in Michigan was 22 3/16th's, in 2000 from Menominee County. The other bear that measured 23 inches around the skull was never verified by a panel of judges, so it was never given an official ranking.

For Don and his son, Jake, it's been an adventure they'll never forget. The head of the big bear will soon be added to their basement walls. "I think that it's just really cool", says Jake.

"Everybody's really excited. When I show it to people, a lot of them, their first reaction is they couldn't believe a bear, that big, lives in Newaygo County."

Don says he will be going through the Boone and Crockett verification process. He should know by the end of the year, how his bear ranks nationally.

By Sarah Sell

AlleganBowhunter

RE: Michigan record bear.

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 pm

My parents were telling me about that a few days ago.  

Monster bear.  
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Man he is a big one! Im hoping to put my tag around one this week when I head back up to Escanaba. I have a big one thats about 500lbs coming in.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Good night DC...  thats a monster of a bear, looking forward to seeing pictures of the two of you!

Just curious ...  public or private land ?  My in laws are in the Rapid River area..  hoping to be up that way in a year or two chasing the bruins.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:33 pm

A little bit of both..Never got another shot at him.. He came in while I was "not" in the stand. Too bad, but I still have another 11 days.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Michigan