buck fever

Demoderby4

RE: Buck Fever

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:13 am

Oh ok sorry about that! lol! Well good luck! and again congrats on the deer!

69Viking

RE: Buck Fever

Postby 69Viking » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:23 am

You are correct, Buck Fever definitely affects more than just the inexperienced hunter.  I've been hunting 5 years and have shot 5 deer in that span.  I'll be just as nervous on Deer #6 as I was on Deer #1!

forkhorn

buck fever

Postby forkhorn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:58 am

i must admit i still get buck fever even after 30 year's of hunting. i was just wondering how many other hunter's still experience this and how do you stop it ?  let's be honest guy's

WiredToHunt

RE: buck fever

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:23 pm

I think buckfever is something that hits us all and it will always stay with us to some degree. For me the name of the game is controlled breathing. The second my adrenaline starts to pump, I start taking and holding very deep breaths. Focusing on this deep, steady breathing slows down my heart and steadies my nerves. It's seemed to work for me so far. For more info and some opinions from D&DH forum posters from last year, check out this blog post entitled simply enough "Buck Fever"
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:18 pm

I get the shakes whether it is a buck or doe.  If I ever loose the excitement of being close to the game it will be time for me to quit. [;)]

I control it by breathing, long slow and picking a spot.  If I decide to take the shot (gun or bow for me) I pick a spot, stare at the spot, burn the spot and let instinct make the shot (using sights with the gun of course just more concentrating on the spot than the sights). 

Hope this helps ya!

Happy Hunting
John
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:22 am

I all ways get the rush...only once true buck fever...nearly passed out ...lost muscle control....even my eyes were shaking.....I now just glance at the rack and then never look at the head again just concentrate on ...not gripping bow ...bending at the waist...with gun...cross hairs on shoulder or bead alignment and shoulder

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 am

Can't say that I still don't get it from time to time, especially if a deer is really close to me.  That seems to get me more amped up than anything, even if it's not a big one.  But I do control my breathing and focus on a spot not the antlers and that helps.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Hey, I think we all get it. What I do is I try to talk to myself, step by step of what to do while trying to control my breathing like Wiredtohunt said. You can also practice, by running around the house or going for a nice jog, then shoot your bow or gun. This will be about the same as it would be when that deer steps out.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Previous

Return to Michigan