APR/Fee hikes

largemouth19

APR/Fee hikes

Postby largemouth19 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:59 am

So how is every one feeling about the new antler point restrictions and license fee hikes for next year? Personally I think it will hurt an already dwindling community. Hunting and fishing participation is down across the board and now we are going to make new restrictions and charge people more to do it. I am partially for QDM but I think trophies are in the eye of the beholder, let me pass on a buck if I want to. And I understand everything gets more expensive every year. But do a fee hike on an up swing when participation is at its highest not at a record low.

Anyway, my thoughts. What are yours?

brloeffler

Re: APR/Fee hikes

Postby brloeffler » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:48 pm

I hunt Michigan every year mostly South Eastern MI. I fly from Florida home each year to hunt and pay for a non resident license @ 138.00 a year not a problem I save for it each year. But the hike to 150.00 or 170.00 that I have heard will be a major hike in price for some people. I think that the state should look at the economy and what it will do to the people that live and prosper from the deer hunters that hunt in there state and figure out another way to increase there revenue. Why not try an antler restriction so the deer get bigger to attract more hunters and allow a doe or buck during gun season in a rotating DMU schedule that changes year to year. In all they need to try and attract more hunters to there state and not force them to hunt in another. I love the out doors and will continue to visit my home state for the rest of my life but might have to hunt elsewhere what a shame. Sorry didn't pay attention you did mention antler restrictions
but I think its only in certain DMU's isn't it? I think across the state will benefit everyone it may take a few years but it is a steep in the right direction to bring the mature buck to doe ratio where it needs to be and attract more hunters through out the state for all to enjoy.

JeremyDine

Re: APR/Fee hikes

Postby JeremyDine » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:42 pm

This year, several counties have joined Leelanau county's requirement of at least three antlers on one side. These counties are Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Lake, Manistee, Mason, Missaukee, Osceola and Wexford. I hunt on private land in Charlevoix, so this will affect me. I'm mostly looking for the meat when I hunt, so not being able to shoot four points or spikes doesn't really bother me. Hopefully these new restrictions will help generate bigger bucks.
Unfortunately, next year begins the big license fee hikes. For all residents, a 'base' license is required in order to purchase other licenses. Basically hunters need to buy a license, to buy a license. This resident base license will cost $6. The buck and antlerless licenses will go up to $20. For the non resident hunters such as largemouth19, the base license fee will be $151. The first deer license bought by a non resident will also be $20, the second will be $170. I sure am glad I am a resident as I probably wouldn't hunt here for those prices. I've done a little research on the DNR website about the MIhunt program, I don't really see how raising the license prices to help fund this will be that beneficial. I think more people will be inclined to not buy a license and risk being caught.

Return to Michigan