people still baiting

lookedeer

RE: people still baiting

Postby lookedeer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:58 am

I would like to comment on this whole baiting thing. My season as a whole for seeing and shooting deer has been awesome because of the baiting ban. Normally the deer go visit my neighbor who feeds the deer and wildlife year round. He does not hunt. The deer would come through my woods way before sunup and stay at his place all day. Hours after the sun went down, they would walk back through. I have my camera out to prove this. This year, the deer and turkeys have to look for their food. Travel from corn field to corn field, like deer are suppose to do. Has any one else had this success?
The deer herd in my area has bloosomed beyond belief. Their are does aplenty running around, not counting the ones in my freezer. The bucks are hugh with ivory aplenty all of sudden.

curlyson

Postby curlyson » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 am

I always thought baiting was a personal choice but did not bait myself . It would seem if nobody baited , deer would be forced to be more active in the search of a full belly . With a bait pile a deer only has to show up after dark fill up , bed down in a safe area and chew his cud  . This it would seem to Cut down on his movements and search for food . Which limits the chance of wandering into my sights and freezer !

Mossberg535

Postby Mossberg535 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:51 am

Ive had the problem of people near me ignoring the ban, and baiting in my area. Ive been using scents, and they seem to work best for me anyways, but its a little disappointing when you keep seeing deer hanging from the tree in your neighbors back yard, and you know they are baiting. I managed to get a doe and a buck so far this year without bait, so I'm not complaining, but I just wish everyone would follow the rules.

Copper116

Postby Copper116 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am

Ya know... I wish baiting was made legal again but until it is, I'll abide by the law.  I do miss "feeding" the deer at my home... It has always been an enjoyable past time during the winter months.  To see the wildlife come in and mill around is very relaxing.  I have a lot of nice photos of the deer, turkeys, and more... They get much needed nourishment and I get some cheap entertainment.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:14 am

I really hope they lift the ban, i want to lay down some mineral licks this year but if they don't lift the ban it doesnt look like i will be able to :/ 

coach

Postby coach » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Where I am in Ontario, we are aloud to bait.  I'm not disputing the ban or encouraging whatever.
But I do have a question.

What is the big deal with baiting.  I am serious....I don't know. Why is so many against it. Is it bad for the deer?
I'm just curious.

Now pls don't shoot me for asking....[:D] 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:25 pm

They complain that it encourages the spread of CWD and stuff like that, which makes no sense to me either, deer feed together anyways, baiting doesnt promote it anymore than natural food sources do imo. Almost all the cases have been found in penned deer herds too hardly any free ranging herds. I heard that if they didnt find another case of it this last year they would lift the ban but idk if thats a credible claim or not.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:42 pm

i just wish i could put some corn out in the back yard and watch the deer feed from the window.. It's spose to be -14 tomorrow.. That's gonna be tough for the deer.. I think some food would help now. Im not gonna bait still but its hard to sit here on the computer and not watch deer as i sit.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

coach

Postby coach » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Oh I see !   What's the deer population in Michigan.  Approx of course ! 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:51 am

i honestly have no idea, i looked on the dnr site but i just skimmed a few things, im sure someone on here will know more than me! lol!

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan