people still baiting

DeerCamp

RE: people still baiting

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:54 am

I couldnt find how many deer there are in Michigan either.. I tryed google and the DNR website.. Maybe Ill have to give em a call to find out.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

coach

Postby coach » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:34 pm

here's what I found.
http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/09/deer_population_flourishing_mi.html

Now that is alot of deer.  Do you think that is the reason you can't bait.

In Ontario..(2008) ......we have a total population of approx. 300 000 heads.
Look at the size of Michigan on the map.....look at the province of Ontario.

We are not worried in Ontario for CWD>  Now I know it could happen....but slim chance

Do you think that because you have so many deer ....that is the reason your not aloud baiting.

Like I said....I know nothing about it.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm

I would guess the bigger number has something to do with it, i know once it gets in a herd everyone gets scared because it can spread fairly quickly and easily thru the herd, at least that's what i hear, but like i said in the earlier post, almost all the cases have been found in penned herds, not free ranging herds, so as much as i want to try to preserve and keep deer herds as healthy as we can, i don't think the ban should stand until they find good enough proof that a case of cwd came up in a free ranging herd because of certain baiting practices, thats just my opinion, it might sounds a little selfish because i do enjoy setting out bait, for me its a nice help psychologically, when i see that deer have been eating at it, and i have had deer come to my bait piles while on stand in previous years, so i know they work, plus i wanted to try some mineral licks this year but anyays lol, thats just how i feel, i still absolutely loved hunting this past year and saw many more deer than i have in the last few seasons, so its not like my sightings went down without baiting.

coach

Postby coach » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Hey , thanks alot demoderby4....

The coach has been coached. 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm

hey no prob, hope i helped! I wouldn't say i quite coached ya ;) but thanks a lot!

dtsarborist

Postby dtsarborist » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:44 am

ya im still baiting. i hunt near standish and the judge up there is a deer hunter himself so he favors anyone caught baiting anybody. It cost $100 for baiting this year up there, $50 for the bait and $50 for the fine hahaha

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:02 am

Admitting to baiting? At least he's honest i guess...
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Deerhuntinglover22

Postby Deerhuntinglover22 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:18 am

I think the no baiting rule has been the best thing to happen in michigan its going to show people the real way to hunt not just sitting over a bait pile waiting for deer to come. Its going to make people get on there feet and scout. And in my opinion ive seen more deer this year deer hunting then anyother year because its making the deer be on there feet looking for food more. So i hope the no baiting rule sticks.

REF

Postby REF » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:38 pm

we can bait up here ... don't like it and will not hunt over bait ... that being said have no problem feeding deer for the joy of seeing them of putting out some salt .. but the feeding should not be allowed till after hunting season ... just my 2 cents ..
Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:50 pm

I too saw many more deer this year than other years when i baited, i obviously didn't bait this year,  i know baiting is not neccesary to see deer and i did it in the past also just to see deer, its a good way just to observe and see them when your not hunting, i absolutely love the animal and just love seeing em so "baiting"
helped with that. The only reason i hope they get rid of the ban is for mineral licks and such, I'm implementing some QDM tactics this year and wanted to use some mineral licks for protein and stuff like that.

And not every hunter that baits doesnt know how to hunt the "real way" whatever u mean by that, its just a tactic, just like still hunting is a tactic, stand hunting is a tactic, some people have had great success baiting and if they have had great success, good for them! Subjecting all people who have bait(ed) as not "real hunters" is a bit immature and i highly doubt they don't know how to "really hunt"
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan