smitty

RE: Scored a nice 2.5 year old 10 point

Postby smitty » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Great job man!
"Freedom Isn't Free"

westmibow

Postby westmibow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:53 am

Hey thanks everyone yes he was broke off before I shot him, fighting I would guess. Hopefully fighting with his big brother or cousins. lol.

The story. Well I havent hunted this property for 3 or 4 years so this year I decided to hang a stand and hunt it once early and then wait until late Oct. and early Nov. Its a heavy doe bedding area and has a lot of pockets of nasty thick scrub brush which I had a hunch might be holding a buck or two. Well I set up for a SW or W wind and waited for it. I got it and I went in there. My stand is about 75 yards from a standing corn field and alfalfa field so I figured I would catch them in transition from bedding to food and hopefully being farther off the field edges there would be enough light. Well it got to be about 20 minutes before dark and it gets dark in there even faster so I was just about ready to bag the hunt when I saw a doe coming down off the little ridge in front of me then another and another and another, 4 total. Heading strait to the fields. I was watching the last one move through my shooting lane when I looked up the trail they had just used to see if there was anymore and there he was about 15 yards behind them. He went into the shooting lane, I grunt stopped him, and when I looked through my peep it was tough to see really tough. I shot and watched my lumiknock run away with him. The shot looked back a little but I was confused why it didn't pass through it was only a 15 yard shot. So I waited a while got down and found the first blood. My friend who hunts a couple farms over came over and helped me for an hour and a half and lost the good blood and we determined we should give him the night. So the next morning I went back out with my wife and my oldest son(who is only 5 and one heck of a tracker) we looked for a good 1/2 hour and they finally found some blood about 50 yards from the last spot. From there we found some more good blood then it stopped again. So after 3 hours I had to go to work for a function in the afternoon. So I called my good friend who is very good at tracking and he met me out there. We started from the last spot we found blood fanned out and he was about 20 yards from where we had stopped earlier. Turns out the shot was a little back and he was quartering more than I though it nailed his liver, but passed through the guts and hit his back leg. Thus the reason it didn't pass through. So the meat was ruined, which I hate, but i do have a great trophy.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:58 am

Well, besides the other congratulations here, I'd like to offer Kudos on a great family friendly photo here.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:30 am

Excellent deer and as mentioned great family photo's
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Previous

Return to Michigan