Starting to see more and more deer.

DeerCamp

Starting to see more and more deer.

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:34 am

Im starting to see more and more deer during the day time now. Where as before I would only see them at night with the moon and snow as my light. Looks like it took about 2 months for the deer to feel unpressured again.. Anyone eles notice this as well?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

HoneyHole

RE: Starting to see more and more deer.

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 am

That and the weather has a lot to do with it. When it gets as cold as it's been, they yard up in cedars where it protects them from the wind. I've been seeing them at noon time in some spots. I guess I should get out and check my cameras. 

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 am

Here in Wisconsin I am also seeing more deer now.  We lost all of our snow in the fields so the deer have food to eat.  There is still snow in the woods but the trails make it easy for them to get around.  Like honeyhole said they were yarded up with the cold temps.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm not out much during the day, stuck up at work or in class, i have seen a lot during 7-9 at night in fields though, great to hear about em getting out during the day tho, im gonna put out my new trail cam this week sometime and send the one back, hopefully i can get some action during the day and let ya guys know whats happening around here!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 am

I have quite a herd that migrates to and from the pines to the winter wheat and or corn stubble. 
I also have seen more of them lately and they do come out all during the day.  I am off on Thursdays, the deer are not pressured during the week by the 'yote hunters, so I tend to see more of them during the weekdays, usually from noonish til 3ish, then again an hour before dark.  Not a buck in the bunch.  And I do mean "bunch"!  We have around 250 deer that yard up near my home every winter, that is why I refer to them as "the herd".
Yesterday, I also saw about 150 turkeys roaming through the corn field behind the house.  Scoped them and saw a few nice long beards, but I know from previous experience that come seasons opener, they will be on someone elses property. Grrrrr!
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 am

I'm having just the opposite problem.  I'm been watching about 6 in the "back yard" but as of late I haven't seen them.  About two weeks ago the disappeared and I haven't caught wind of them yet.  I was actually going to ask if anyone has noticed this.  My only thought is coyotes moving into the area and they relocated as I'm surrounded by farms....  Any ideas or anything to look for?
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:44 am

MDV

they might of just found a better food source, or are using the cover of dark, maybe something got a sniff of em one day when they were out during daylight and harassed them, the coyotes might be the problem, or they might have just relocated to some other location (on or off of your property) maybe take a day and go see if you can track where they might be, i was going to go out today but were supposed to get a big snow storm and well my grand am will no doubt get stuck if i get caught in it lol! It sucks every weekend i plan on going out there, we get a storm, last time we got 8 inches the day i wanted to go out to shed hunt/scout and today who knows how much, hopefully not nearly as much lol!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:54 am

Demoderby4,
Here in Indiana the late bow season closed Jan 4th. I've seen some deer out in the picked cornfields, but they scatter if you so much as slow the truck down.(I always carry a digital camera in the truck and I enjoy taking pictures of deer) Last Friday, Feb 20, I took my two dogs out at about 7:15 in the morning. They ran out into the yard to do their duty and I noticed 11 deer out in the picked cornfield about 200 yards. The deer stopped eating and watched my dogs until I took them back in ,but they never left the field. Once back in the house, I got out my 15-45 power spotting scope. There were six more deer about 400 yards out in the field traveling west. the 3rd 5th and 6th ones in line were racked bucks. I have to assume the other three were bucks that have already shed their antlers. While I'm typing this today, my wife just called to tell me that there's 7 deer out the front window walking through the blueberry patch. We have mostly small woodlots (up to about 120 acres in size ) surrounded by huge corn and soybean fields. I think the deer wander farther than we give them credit for and they've just shifted back to my fields lately. Sure is good to see that at least three decent bucks made it through the seasons.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Not sure why u addressed me Wanderer, just wondering if u did mean to address me or meant to address someone else.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Saw about 20 or so today in fields on the way home from class from 4:40 (first field)-5:05 (2nd field) about 10-12 in the first field then another 10 or so in the other, it was nice to see em out in day light again.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Return to Michigan