Uncle Teds feeding deer?

HoneyHole

RE: Uncle Teds feeding deer?

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:23 am

OH- This winter was bad. With record snowfall and record low temperatures, the deer couldn't get to the food. There were some areas the deer had a chance. With the baiting ban, a lot of farmers didn't have anyone to sell their corn to. So there was some corn that wasn't harvested this year. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 am

Yeah this winter was pretty bad around here, it seemed once December rolled around the single digits stayed around almost constantly, negative temps at night got bad too, i cant remember a winter where it has been this cold in a while, glad its almost over! That means spring planting is coming realllllly soon :)

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:26 am

TED has been baiting for years...what do you think he is hunting over at the YO ranch....

he will always bait as do alot of TV "professionals"....real professional!!!!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 am

Yeah the winter has been tough for the deer in Wisconsin as well.  Lots of snow since December and temps in the single digits for highs for a week straight and it dipped to 30 below for 2 days.  But I was watching a video by Dr. James Kroll and he said that deer don't die in winter because of the cold but because of the snow.  He said that deer have a thick fur to keep there bodies insulated which I knew but I had always heard it was cold that killed deer.  He said that deep snow is the reason why many deer die because they burn to many calories trying to find food.  But we have had temps in the 40's and yesterday it was 54 degrees.  Alot of the snow is gone now so that is good.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 am

dtrain....
I know he has been baiting for years.  And I agree that a lot of the TV shows bait.  I don't have any problem with that.  It gives me something to watch on television most days.
The point was that Uncle Ted, purposefully looked into the camera and noted that he is, in fact, baiting in Michigan. 
I personally don't really give a hoot whether he does or does not bait, and I know that many of his hunts are on high fenced or at least very lucrative ranches, with some heavily fed wildlife (and I use that term loosely, I personally would refer to them as livestock).  I just thought it was bad form for him to be so smug about it.
Trust me when I say that I would love to hunt with 'the Nuge' sometime.  I think he is a hell of a hunter.  But, I wouldn't want to be with him when the CO's come knocking on his door.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:55 pm

drdaven- I've met Ted before on a couple occasions. He IS offensive, and antagonistic. But that's him. He likes the shock value of his actions and words. Love him or hate him, he is polarizing. In the big picture, I think we need him. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:56 pm

ORIGINAL: drdaven

dtrain....
I know that many of his hunts are on high fenced or at least very lucrative ranches, with some heavily fed wildlife (and I use that term loosely, I personally would refer to them as livestock). (and) I think he is a hell of a hunter.

I have to disagree with you on these statements drraven. Hunting in a fenced in ranch with "livestock deer" is not hunting in my book, that type of hunting needs to be done away with completely, some "fair chase" hunting that is! [8|] and anyone can be a good hunter on a fenced in ranch! If he is such a great hunter i don't see why he needs to do that, because he has money? Thats a good reason [8|] Even if i had that money i would never fence in deer, against my personal beliefs, but thats jmo.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:22 am

Demo,

I agree 1000% -with you on the high fenced hunting.  Quite sure you couldn't MAKE me hunt on one of those farms. 
I suppose they do their shows on those ranches because they have limited time to film the hunt and they want a BIG return on their investment.  I think I would rather see them get skunked, but I'm sure that I wouldn't want to watch them get skunked every show.  Wouldn't make for very good programming.
Did you ever see the hunt they filmed at "The Legend"?  What a joke!  Booners walking around within a few yards of the cameraman.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Yeah i don't agree with it at all, but hey, if thats the way they like to hunt and makes em feel like a better hunter, go for it i guess. I agree i would rather see some 'pro's' get skunked every now and then on a show, i mean sometimes they do, but hardly ever. And yeah that makes sense about the programming, the show prob wouldnt get as good of ratings if they showed the guys getting skunked all the time lol. No i've never seen that episode, i looked that ranch up once online though, they sure do get some monsters on that ranch tho!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Previous

Return to Michigan