Michigan Deer Cull Halted

Ben Sobieck

Michigan Deer Cull Halted

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:25 am

Source: Detroit News

PONTIAC -- The controlled killing of deer by Oakland County Sheriff's sharpshooters will continue in Rochester Hills after a judge denied a request Wednesday to stop the effort intended to reduce the herd.

Oakland Circuit Judge Nanci Grant considered and rejected arguments by two residents seeking to stop the sanctioned deer cull in Rochester Hills. They claim it's unnecessary and endangers the public.

Martha Black and Craig Bauman filed a lawsuit against the city, county and state, claiming the cull violated city ordinances and that it could result in death or injuries to residents or visitors from the use of high-powered firearms in the city.

In a four-page ruling, Grant said the preparation work undertaken by the city, including surveys, reports and extensive safety measures to be employed, demonstrated that the city recognizes these concerns and is not acting in a "capricious or arbitrary matter."

"The City has provided a detailed description of the comprehensive safety measures that will be in place during the operation, including measures that will prevent bullets from straying from the area and prevent members of the public from entering the area while the operation is underway," Grant wrote.

Grant wrote that she is not unsympathetic to the plaintiffs' cause.

"The destruction of animals in this matter as a means of controlling their population cannot be carried out without at least an element of cruelty," she said.

In November, the City Council adopted a resolution allowing the controlled kill by deputies to reduce the number of car-deer collisions. The resolution banned shooting on private, residential or commercial property. More than 367 car-deer collisions have occurred in Rochester Hills since 2007, and officials said residents have expressed concerns about disease, agricultural and crop damage from deer.

Sharpshooters from the Sheriff's Office, which patrols the city under contract, have shot four deer.

Bauman said he is disappointed by the ruling but not deterred.

"We will shift our focus away from the Oakland courts and turn it to the Rochester Hills City Council. There are hundreds of people who are displeased about this, and we will make ourselves known," Bauman said.

mag30079

RE: Michigan Deer Cull Halted

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 am

I just saw this on the news this morning. I guess if there so worried about stray bullets, they should of let us bow hunt the area in the first place. It would of saved some tax money now being payed in over time to the Oakland Co. Sheriff.

Of coarse I'm alittle jealous, those boys and girls are enjoying there job. Come on fokes they don't call them "sharp shooters" for the heck of it.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

I dont like the idea of sharpshooters in the city limits either. I think they should be utilizing us bowhunters to help reduce the herd. that is what we are doing in Wisconsin. Seems to be working well...

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am

Schlupis,

You think you could come knock a little sense into these yahoos for us.  Let them know that bow hunting is a viable and safe solution to their deer population problems.

They had a kill off up my way for an grass strip airport.  Ticked me off because I hunt right next door to it.  The used rifles in July and August to knock off some really nice bucks.  Yes, they shot does also, but why the bucks?  The owners told me that the 'safety kill' permits were for any sex.  They were quite proud that they were able to harvest these booner bucks.

Bet these sharpshooters are getting there kicks taking some really nice city deer.  Hope they pet them first!
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:33 pm

drdaven no problem I would be happy to help.. I bet those sharp shooters are just loving the fact they get to kill all those big bucks to stock their trophy rooms on the county's dime..

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:08 am

Such a shame. Bow hunters could do this and the state could make money off it. Just a special late bow season. I understand why they use sharpshooters, but it's still a shame. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:30 pm

4 deer in a couple months? Seems like that was a great idea... IMO Letting us bow hunt there would be safer than having sharpshooters running around trying to "cull" the herd. 

Return to Michigan