Large U.P. Buck

barkriver

Large U.P. Buck

Postby barkriver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:56 am

Anyone hear anything about this buck, I received it on a forward so you can never be for sure the true story but supposedly it was taken in Luce Co. Below is the story......

This is from the newberry area, it is big snow area where the deer migrate from the north shore of superior south to the lake michigan shore. they got some big snow early in deer season.

The paragraph below is from the orginal sender of the e-mail.

Luce County, 215 lbs, shot on 11/26, 14 Scoreable Pts., 24" inside spread, 27 inch main beams, Green Scored by Cert. B.C. scorer at 197 3/8. Big Migrater. The guy got it on camera a couple days earlier. My boss knows the guy a little. He knows him "just" good enough to invite himself and two of us from work over and get some pics. I will probably never hold, shoot, or even see a buck like this before I die. Was a thrill in itself.
Some think it'll break the All-Time Luce County Record set in 1917!!!!!!
It will either be #1 or #2 in Luce County and in the top 5 for the state of Michigan. It was truly amazing. The Yoop can produce as good and better than CANADA .......just not as often

paulie

RE: Large U.P. Buck

Postby paulie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 am

Wow, that is a monster!!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:54 am

I've heard the same story saying they got it on camera a couple days before it was shot and that it migrated to the area they were hunting.  Monster buck though.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:42 am

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:28 am

Very nice buck...Im kinda susprized that it came from Newberry, for years I have had friends hunt all over Newberry with not much luck. I know the area is over hunted for the most part..Im glad he wasnt poached. I wonder what area that deer really came in from if he migrated from.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks for the link HoneyHole that is defiantly the buck.

DeerCamp, I am with you we have a cabin north of Newberry near Pine Stump primarily used for snowmobiling and RR no good hunting at all. I am trying to do a little research with some people I know in the area to see what they heard about the buck, if anyone else had seen it prior to this. I will post any updates if I get any, this is kind of cool talking about a large buck in our state for once. 

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:58 am

Barkriver, do you hunt Escanaba at all? We hunt around there and have done well. I just seen this buck on the news, sadly I just cought the end of it..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:23 am

DeerCamp, we actually hunt the Bark River / Schaffer area, been hunting the area nearly 20 years. We have seen it all when it comes to numbers and quality of bucks but a lot more good then bad over the years we have taken 15+ bucks in the 90+ inch range several of them 115 to 125 inch with the largest taken 143. So all in all it is a rather good area to hunt in the U.P. I live in the central lower we also have a lot of deer with nice bucks just not as much cover and a whole lot of pressure.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Barkriver-- Thats good you have done really well up there.. I was wondering how is the Bear hunting in Escanaba? I will be getting my 6th point this year and Im thinking about going to Escanaba.. Any thing I should know about or what not?

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:15 am

Deercamp- I hear of bear a lot in the Paradise/Tequamenon area too. I use to go up there goose hunting and I'd always see bear tracks, usually very fresh. 

Return to Michigan