Did you participate in the early doe hunt?

DeerCamp

Did you participate in the early doe hunt?

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 am

Just wondering how many people got out for Michigans early season doe hunt?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Paul T.

RE: Did you participate in the early doe hunt?

Postby Paul T. » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:25 pm

I believe there is a time and season for everything including deer hunting.
Michigans Thumb!!!

lookedeer

Postby lookedeer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:05 am

We all love to shoot deer. I just could not shoot a doe with a spotted fawn tagging along behind her. This is just a bit to early. Anyone else with that same thought? Why put all that noise in the woods to scare the deer before the youth deer hunt, or bow season. It is bad enough we are competing with the turkey hunters.

Mossberg535

Postby Mossberg535 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:44 am

I got a doe during the early season hunt, but I used my bow, so I wasn't making too much noise, and I got my buck later this year, so it must not have spooked the deer too bad. I had the same thought about the fawns lookedeer, but I just waited and passed up a lot of does until I found a couple that where alone, with no fawns tagging along, then I shot the biggest of the two.

bunk229

Postby bunk229 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:26 am

I participated in the early doe season when a friend, who has property up in the thumb area invited me. At first I was against the early season because I don't feel that it is necessary but I still went out just to get out to the woods. I had back surgery scheduled for Nov. 17th so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hunt in bow season at all, and I knew my gun season was "shot." It turned out to be pretty enjoyable because I had 7 different bucks go right underneath me the fist day and it was fun to watch them knowing that you couldn't shoot them. It's good practice for hunters that are getting into QDMA (let 'em go - watch 'em grow) and also watched many does with fawns walk by. We had already decided to let them go because we felt the fawns needed more time with their mothers. The following morning we each took a yearling doe that were alone.
I'm still not sold on whether we need this season. Why not extend the late season instead so the fawns won't be "orphaned?"

Return to Michigan