Any one going out for muzzleloader?

DeerCamp

Any one going out for muzzleloader?

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:36 am

I have been killing myself these last few weeks getting back into school, and now for exams. However I want to go out today but I just dont think Ill be able to make the opener. I have a doe tag left. I hope I can get out before the 21st. Any of you going out? How are you doing seeing anything?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

paulie

RE: Any one going out for muzzleloader?

Postby paulie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:33 am

Being that I dont own a muzzleloader (yet), I'll be bow hunting. once the late doe season opens, I'll probably pull the shotgun back out. So far this season it's lookin like "tag stew"[:'(]!! Still got a couple weeks left, we'll see what happens 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Went out tonight, it was an exciting hunt for once [:D] haven't had one since opening day gun, so much for that rut...lol, at least i didnt really see much rut activity when i was out there, hope you guys saw more than me the last two weeks! I have to admit i didnt really get out there that muich tho, only about 3 times :/
     But i went out tonight up in the thumb with my buddy, i sat us up over looking a recently cut down corn field, i was really excited they finally took that corn down and the deer sign was HUGE all in the field and the remaining few rows of corn still up. I had a really good feeling ever since my dad told me that they cut it down, i love this spot, i couldnt wait to get up there. I showed my buddy some spots and he picked a good staging area and tucked back in some weeds that over looked some decent cover where the deer were traveling through HEAVILY, i told him he might want to sit up on the ridge to over look the corn field but he was dead set on tucking in, so i respected that and we shook hands and i was off.
     So i parted from him and i set up on top of the ridge (the palce were at kind of "L's" around the field) and i went to the other part of the "L" and it looked into some woods where i know they are in, scouting did more than prove that for me, and it also over looked the corn field that i knew they were coming out to eat at dark or right before dark, its a new year but the the deer always congregate to this section when the snow falls and food is scarce.
     So i got settled in at about 2:45 and didnt see or hear anything until about 4 (i wasn't really expecting to until about 4:15 or so. But i thought i heard one in the woods at 4 to the SE of me, i grabbed my gun slowly and waited for the deer to show its self but nothing came, so i settled back down and 4:25 came around and i decided to focus more on the field the in the woods and that was the right decision! At about 4:30 i spotted a doe poke her head out of the corn (i was impressed i se her! lol!) and then 3 more came out with her, they were all about 120 yards away i haven't shot my Muzzle Loader that much this year so i didnt want to shoot when they came out, i wanted to wait until they got closer.
     I watched em for about 15 mins, they went into the corn and i lost em, 10 mins later two come out again, even further away, i tried calling em in, but they didnt do anything, they went back into the corn. Then at about 5:05 one last doe (im sure the 4 i saw were the same ones i kept seeing, but she looked familiar each time i saw her, but this time she came out at about 85 yards, so i decided to get down from the ridge and crawl closer, i got to wihin 75 yards only and she spotted me somehow (of course) [:(] so i got down and waited for her to go back to eating, she did and i pulled my gun up and locked on.... but i missed lol, it went low, i saw the snow react to the bullet, but it was still a pretty cool hunt!! Got to watch some deer for a good 45 mins and got a shot, cant ask for much more.
     My buddy saw 2 at about 5, one buck and a doe, it was a small 6 but still its been a while since either of us saw a buck, so that was re-assuring, the deer spotted him right before he did them and they stayed around a bit but didnt present a shot for him. But it was a great hunt!! By far that field is my favorite spot to hunt at esp in the late season!
     Have to say though guys if you go out for ML or for late bow season, food sources, food sources, food sources!!! Thats all i have focused on late season and it never disappoints!! This is by far my favorite time to hunt! Good hunting to you all! I might head back out tomorrow, depending on if the family is getting toegther or not lol.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:33 am

Took a nice doe the other night with my Knight. I was still trying to fill a buck tag when a dozen or so does came right under my stand. They all came through except one doe, and she spotted me trying to see around a tree. She started the foot stomp thing, and I didn't want her alarming every deer in the county so I took her. She ran to about 10 feet from the road. That was nice of her! lol .A buck never did come through though. Boy are they hitting the corn fields!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:17 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

I have been killing myself these last few weeks getting back into school, and now for exams. However I want to go out today but I just dont think Ill be able to make the opener. I have a doe tag left. I hope I can get out before the 21st. Any of you going out? How are you doing seeing anything?

Deercamp Your going for the Deer hat trick this year.

1 bow
2 riffle
3 blackpowder

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:41 am

lol..Im going to try.. Im not going to be able to get out till Wen. I should be able to hunt Wen,Thurs,Fri and possiably sat and sun if I can get out of work early. I talked to my Uncle and I think I may head down to Jackson to see if I can pull it off. Good Luck to everyone eles who's going out.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 am

I'll be heading out Wed and Thurs afternoon. Snow should be flyin'!!!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:03 pm

Yea honey hole they are hitting the corn VERY hard, i love hunting over corn this time of the year! I was hoping to get out tom, wed and sunday to end the season, but my hunting buddy's sister died today in school :/ so i told him i would obviously cover his shifts at work, so i will prob just be out sunday, unless i can get out early on wed. But good luck to you guys if/when ya go!!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:00 am

Well I never got the chance to make it out.. Ive been very busy.. Infact I havent hunted in more than a month :*(.. School killed me and work has been draining.. Im starting to feel this "real world" stuff now.. I can not wait to get back out.. Im gonna hit the woods up tomorrow with my bow. Even if I dont see any, it will be nice to be 25' up in the air, looking over the woods. Nothing beats the feeling of being out there.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:19 am

The deer are dumb right now. I had about a dozen right under me for 45 minutes. They smelled my tracks coming in, but none of them we're alarmed. I got busted by me moving though. 45 minutes is a long time to stand still holding a bow! I might be able to get 1 or 2 more hunts in. 

Return to Michigan