A Good Bow

cjgaleana

A Good Bow

Postby cjgaleana » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:53 pm

As Iv said before this is only my second year hunting and I really want to get into archery. What is a good bow to start with? I would be using it mostly for deer hunting, but also would use it for turkey, I don't know if there are different types of bows for each type of hunt. But would appreciate the input, thanks.

DeerCamp

RE: A Good Bow

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:21 pm

I like Hoyts.. However if I were you I would go to a bow shop and talk to some one that works there.. By going to the shop you can get tip's and he can fit you for a bow, as well as try and shoot bows to see what kind you like the best.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:22 pm

There's really no right or wrong answer as to the brand name you decide on, but you should buy it from a reputable dealer. You need a bow to fit you properly to be able to shoot well. Also, something to keep in mind is if you are just getting started, most bows are sold with a string only. It may cost you an additional $300 or more on top of the price tag on the bow.(In case you have a budget.) 
 Now is the best time of the year to buy a bow. Dealers are trying to unload unsold bows to make room for the 2009 models, so you can get some sweet deals.
 Good luck getting started!

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 pm

I agree, there is no one make(brand) thats "better" than the rest.  I would say shoot as many as you can, and you'll know when you've found "the right one"!  You might do well to look into some of the "package" deals offered.  You can get a bow thats pretty much ready to go with a sight, rest, quiver, etc.  Dont get sucked into buying a certain brand because someone says "its the best".  Like I said try as many as you can, what feels the best to me, might not work for you.  The only way to know your buying the "right" bow for you, is to try several, and pick the one that feels the best in your hand!  Most brands on the market today are of pretty good quality. Best of luck to ya, and welcome to the sport of archery. But be forewarned, it is addicting!!!!!!

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:02 pm

I just noticed, your in s.e Michigan. I'm not sure how close you are to jackson, but if its not to far you may want to check out Schupbach's sporting goods. They have a top notch archery staff there! 

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:13 pm

shoot as many bows as possible, there are so many out there and so many different feels, get what you like. dont worry about the name or anything like that. a gander mountain store or something similar, maybe a cabelas or bass pro shop will have many different types and brands of bows. I bought one this summer I started at gander and shot almost every bow there. then i went onto the small shops. I ended up with a hoyt katera, i love it, but i talk to some people and they hate it. its all in personal preference. where ever you go, dont let people talk you into ridic arrows. just get a mid range arrow. i consider myself a pretty decent shooter and i lose probably a half dozen a year and break another half dozen. especially if you are just getting into it, a bow, sight, rest and release are going to run you a good amount of money. im not saying to get the cheapest arrows, but thats one thing where ive found that whether you get the most expensive or the least expensive you are still going to miss a target and lose or break them. same with sights rests and releases.. you dont have to spend a lot of money to get good equipment.. just go by the feel and what you like. its going to be only you up in a tree having to be comfortable with what you have when you draw back on a monster buck, no one else. dont let names or price influence your decision.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm

I don't turkey hunt, but would assume you'd use the same bow as for deer hunting.  There are some unique broadheads for turkey hunting.

Regarding the bow itself, I'd start out with the best you can fit into your budget.  Just tell the dealer what you're willing to spend (bow, arrows, release...the whole ball of wax) and go from there.

My bow was not super spendy (PSE Beast), but kills 'em just as dead as the rest.  That is an older bow (6 years or so), but I bet you can find them very reasonable online.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:17 am

Try as many as u can, i wish i would of before i bought mine, im not knocking mine, i just wish i did a little more hw on em before i bought one. I have a pse dakota and its fine for me, it really is, i love it. It was only like 300 and when i am consistent with practice it stacks the arrows. Although the right bow is important to find like previous posters have said, if you get the bow with just the string than your gonna have to pay a couple hundred more to get everything else you might want, arrows, obviously lol, whisker biscuit or drop rest, additional silencers, stabilizer, release, arm guard, pracitce tips, maybe additional arrows used just for practice, sights, and broadheads. All those things arent mandatory but they do help with accuracy and reliability. I recomend just about all those things. It sounds like a lot and it is. I just don't want you think think its gonna be like a $200 dollar investment and your set, you wont be lol! just trying to give ya a heads up :) hope my post helped.

Paul T.

Postby Paul T. » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 am

I have been bow hunting for over 34 years and all the advice these folks have given is great.  The most important thing I can stress is that you go to a pro with the selection and set up.  You are the ultimate and final decision in the purchase but good adviced is irreplacable.  The cost will stack up on top of the bow price BUT, You don't have to buy bullets every time you shoot.  So don't be scared at the initial start up cost.  Over the years of shooting and practice you will fall in love with the sport and the artistry of archery. 
Good luck and have a ball.
Michigans Thumb!!!

DEERSLAYER

Postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:12 am

Good advice on here. I just want to add don't buy a bow untill you shoot the 2009 Martin Cheetah. It's a great bow at any price, but for only $350 it's a steal and I don't think you can go wrong with it. I'm replacing my Mathews Q2 with it (Mathews are over priced any way[;)]). Go out and shoot some bows. Also, you don't have to spend a tonn of money to get high quality acessories, but it will set you back $200. Maybe $300 depending on what you like.

Return to Michigan