Rain

DeerCamp

Rain

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:02 pm

I wait all year long for opening day of bow season and yet again it seems its going to rain on it for the 2nd season in a row!All of Michigan is spose to get some rain. Ugh. How have any of you done in the rain? Do you even go out? Do you see a lot of deer? Or are you sitting there cold, wet and miserable?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

RE: Rain

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:07 pm

I'll hunt in my blind if there is a little rain.  If there is moderate to heavy rain, I'll stay inside and peruse this site.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:11 pm

i'v huntin alot in the rain, and it's all hit and miss. it all depends on the area your huntin and all-- but i'd still go rain or shine

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:12 pm

I will be on stand in rain or shine. But I would agree that success is hit or miss. It seems that a light rain can get deer moving more often than not, but if it's pouring, the deer tend to stay bedded down. Just last year I saw a nice buck cruising in late October in the middle of a rain shower, so I can't complain too much. The other real problem though is tracking. I have never taken a deer in the rain, but I imagine the difficulty of following a blood trail would be incredibly difficult. So I guess on Wednesday we will just have to drop him in his tracks!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:09 am

I've seen a many deer on rainy days. I like to be in a ladder stand over a mock scrape. The deer will freshen the scrape when the rain lets up.  The deer like to use the neighbors mineral sites after a rain, which gets deer moving as well.  I also think one of the best times to stalk deer is when the forest floor leaves are moist.  When the rain is a drizzle or mist, the deer just go on about thier normal activities around here.  I think over the years deer have patterned the rain with hunters leaving the woods, so to them it seems like a safe time to move around. I sure used to pack it up and leave in my younger days when the drizzle started, now I know to stay for the action.  I'd love to see a story in the mag, about how rain impacts deer movement.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:43 pm

I'll hunt in the rain as long as its not a down pour, i've seen many deer in fields and moving around during the rain, it doesn't seem to bother them that much around here in SE Mich, the temps aren't even supposed to hit 50 where i am tomorrow, that will def get the deer moving a little more, its only 30% chance of rain here, looking forward to it, its haping up to be a great day!

Return to Michigan