Heading out hunting

DeerCamp

Heading out hunting

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:26 am

Well Ive just packed my truck again.... Just got back from Escanaba last night around 1pm, and now Im all packed up to head to Jackson for the early doe season. Ill be hunting there till Monday, hope I get some action. Ill get back to everyone to let ya know how I did with pictures.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

RE: Heading out hunting

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:20 am

Well the doe hunt was this weekend and today too. I went out only 2times. 

Day 1: I had a doe come in at 180 yards at 5:58pm. I am in a shotgun only zone and a shot at her would have been impossiable. 27 mins later I looked behind me and a big tall 8pt was standing there with a doe. They werent on our property so I didnt have a shot either. Sadly as it seems to always happen the doe stayed on that land while the buck made his way to the food plot in front of me.  The doe left while the 8pt eat 20 YARDS INFRONT OF ME! It's almost as if he was teasing me.  Then right before dark I saw I believe the same doe again at 185 yards, again no shot. Then I looked out infront and saw a big body deer. I thought to my self it has to be a buck. He has the WHOLE plot to eat out of and once again he decied he was going to eat in front of me at 15 yards. I kept looking and looking through the scope to see what he was and I could tell he was a nice 4pt. It would have been to dark to shoot at the time he came in, but it was still nice to see them. Now that I saw those to bucks I look back at it and laugh.. seems to always happen when you cant shoot em.

Day 2: Went out and was on stand early. I had a GREAT feeling all night so I was very excited.  Sadly a big fog came in our area and covered most of the feild making it hard to see. Around 10am the fog was finally leaving. It was a cold morning with no deer, but it was still all the fun in the world!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ScootD

Postby ScootD » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:24 am

I went out every day but cannot go out tonight. [:(] The first day I saw nothing but tried out my rattling technique to get myself set for bow season and the rut Sure enough about 10 mins. after rattling a buck ran in and grunted but stayed out of sight. The second day i sat in the same location but had no luck, allthough I did hear a lot of movement around me but it seems the deer knew it was early gun season because they didn't give me any type of shot let alone present themselves so I could at least see them. On the third day I moved to my tree stand that morning and had 2 bucks walk in but they stayed behind me so I didn't get to see them at all, but I knew they were bucks because they gave me a couple grunts and even rubbed some trees. That evening was the most exciting part of this hunting season so far. On my way to my stand just before I cross our bridge there is a trail that runs all the way to the road. Just as I was about to cross the bridge I looked to my right, as I do every time I go into the woods, and there stands a deer. I set my flashlight down, took the safety off my shotgun, and looked through my scope only to see that it was a big bodied 2 1/2 yr old 6 point buck. That made me mad because the time was 6 o' clock in the evening and I wanted to be in the woods set up by then, perhaps if I was in my stand I would have gotten a better look at him so I could size him up for bow season. Anyway I walk into the woods along the trail to my stand and as I make the turn to go to my stand I looked up and saw a white tail hopping away. So 2 deer in less than 10 minutes, which if I would have been in my stand when I wanted to I would have seen that deer also. I sat for about an hour and a half when I heard some movement behind me, I turned and looked and saw what looked like the same 6 pointer that I saw on my way in. Little did I know he had a doe in front of him, but she never stopped broadside so I could get a clear shot. They walked off and about 50 yards behind them came another deer trotting along trying to catch up to them. So all together I saw 6 deer but either couldn't shoot them or didn't get a clear shot. Yesterday (Sunday) I rattled in 2 bucks at the same time but my adrenaline got the best of me and I made to quick of a movement and spooked them both before ever getting a good look at them.

Now the funny thing about all this is that even though I have only gotten 3 pictures of a young 6 pointer on my camera I had at least 3 different bucks come in to my calling and rattling. So now I am sure about my technique and am ready for when it comes time to bring in at least one of those bucks for my first deer EVER!!!! Even if I have to take a doe I will be happy because as long as I get a deer I know that I am doing something right and will be ready for years to come.

Happy and safe hunting to all who reads this.

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:16 am

I'm jealous of you all! It sounds like you had some exciting moments out in the field. I'm not going to be able to make it into the woods until Oct. 3rd, and I can't wait! Are you guys planning on posting pictures on here?

ScootD

Postby ScootD » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Of course we will post some pictures wire!! I will post some pics of my buck when I get him to let you guys see if I got the big one or just the lil' thing but either way I'm going to post some pics.

Safe hunting and good luck to all of you!!

P.S. I know I am getting a lil' cocky but I am amped to get my first deer EVER!!!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:33 pm

Oh yeah Ill be posting tons of pics. Im real excited, a buddy and I are heading to Escanaba for the first 5 days of season. Im to pumped up after going there last friday to hang stands. I know it was late but hey, with the price of gas I can only go one time to do that.  ScootD good luck this season I hope you get your first deer. Thats always a very good accomplishment. And good luck to everyone eles out there as well.

Return to Michigan