BREAKING NEWS MICHIGAN Deer baiting ban lifted!

DeerCamp

BREAKING NEWS MICHIGAN Deer baiting ban lifted!

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:17 pm

LANSING -- Michigan's wildlife policymakers have voted to lift a ban on baiting and feeding whitetail deer in much of the state's Lower Peninsula.

The plan was approved by a 4-3 vote today by the Natural Resources Commission. The panel also decided it will revisit the issue in three years.

Baiting and feeding have been banned in the Lower Peninsula since August 2008, when a deer with chronic wasting disease was found at a captive breeding farm in Kent County. No other cases have been reported.

The new plan allows baiting and feeding with limits in the Lower Peninsula, except for a section of northeastern Michigan where bovine tuberculosis remains a problem.

Baiting would be allowed Oct. 1 to Jan. 1.

Policies allowing the practice in the Upper Peninsula continue.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110609/S ... t%7CSports
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

motorbreaker

Re: BREAKING NEWS MICHIGAN Deer baiting ban lifted!

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 am

Deercamp, Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue.

Do you know if they went with the 2 gallons per day thing?
Jake

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 am

I believe so. It should be very similar to the laws back in 08 regarding baiting.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

How do you guys feel about this? I am kind of torn. I haven't been hunting long and in the place where I hunt there are so many deer that I don't have to bait. I know people that have done it inspite of the ban and it really hasn't helped them at all. My only thing is the very first hunt I ever went on I shot a 10 point in Maryland visiting my buddies family. I hunt mostly for meat but I would like to shoot just one Michigan deer close to or better than my Maryland buck and wonder if baiting is the way to do that? In four years I have never seen anything bigger than a weak 6 point in my area. I know some guys go forever and never see a big buck and four years isn't very much time. But how do I get something in there that isn't all ready there without attracting one in there? Not to mention there are hunters on all sides of me even though I am on private land and around there if its brown its down. So just let me know what you think.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am

Well first things first, congrats on the 10pt!! Did you end up mounting him? Anyhow, as you may have already learned a 10pt is an amazing trophy for anyone, I only know a select few that have shot a 10pt or bigger in their life time. I was lucky enough to get a 12pt last year, and let me tell you what, I have hunted Michigan's great outdoors HARD every season since I was 11 years old, I’m 25 now. It’s not easy task to getting a buck bigger than a 10pt, but it is possible. Baiting can and will help aid you to more deer every year. However if you’re looking to shoot a big buck off bait, chances are pretty good that you will end up doing so only in the first few days of the season. I’m not saying it can’t be done any other time, just from my experience that seems to be the best time. After that I would set a stand a few 100 yards or so on a well traveled trail that goes by your other stand for a chance at a big buck. Also scout for food, bedding areas, and runways. ALWAYS PLAY THE WIND! Now you were saying that your area is heave pressured? You may want to try to get WAY out there if you aren’t already. There are some big bucks on the property you are hunting; you just have to be in the right spot at the right time. Try not to stick around your area all that long if you can help it. (IE: Scouting, putting out bait, checking cameras, etc...) Another option you may try is finding some other property to hunt; even knocking on doors is very effective. Hope this helps, good luck to you and happy hunting!

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Yeah I definately had it mounted. It was a rough trip though.

MZS

Postby MZS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 am

I am divided on baiting. I live in N. WI where you deer are not as plentiful and you may never see many deer on your own land without baiting. That said, I wish it was banned in the later season as it really messes up hunting the rut and can make deer gun hunting a total bust as some neighbors may not follow guidelines. It is very disheartening to see deer completely disappear two days before the start of the gun season. Early season is a bit different as deer tend to not relocate just to be near bait piles. So I would favor allowing baiting in early archery to help facilitate better management but a ban after some date like Oct 25. In the one year when the ban was in effect, I was able to rattle and call in some nice bucks - not so with baiting in effect. Baiting helps in getting a good shot during archery but is not needed during gun for this reason.

gregd548

Postby gregd548 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Hated to see the ban lifted. I'm in favor of banning it completely. Too many "hunters" think all they have to do is drop a pile of bait, sit there a while, and shoot a deer. A large number of "hunters" I see today, have no idea how to actually Hunt a deer, and I think they're losing out on a lot of the magic of hunting. People say to me they "need the meat" - what they spend on equipment, license, etc, they could buy a lot more than they get from a deer (but it ain't as good). In any case, while I'm against baiting, if it's legal then I have to support it.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 am

gregd548 wrote:Hated to see the ban lifted. I'm in favor of banning it completely. Too many "hunters" think all they have to do is drop a pile of bait, sit there a while, and shoot a deer. A large number of "hunters" I see today, have no idea how to actually Hunt a deer, and I think they're losing out on a lot of the magic of hunting. People say to me they "need the meat" - what they spend on equipment, license, etc, they could buy a lot more than they get from a deer (but it ain't as good). In any case, while I'm against baiting, if it's legal then I have to support it.

Hey greg. There are a lot of situations where a hunter would never get a chance to shoot a deer without the use of bait. If you had only a small piece of property that is not very attractive to the deer, Then you do what you have to to get the deer to come to your area.

A lot of hunters dont have a lot of time to hunt, Maybe a couple weekends. And the primary food sources may be everywhere. It could
be hard to pinpoint deer movement. Exspecially in the big woods of northern michigan where the deer wander aimlessly through the
woods. Taking a differant trail every day.

Every hunter wants to be sucsessful. However they define it. Whatever they have to do. even baiting. if its legal.

I know a lot of hunters dont like baiting, But a lot of those hunters given certain situations would bait themselves.

Personaly, I dont see anything wrong with baiting. If its legal. And a person wants to do it. Then go for it.

The hunting community needs to worrie about themselves and what they choose to do. not what other hunters do or choose to do.
Jake

Michigan Archer

Postby Michigan Archer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:19 pm

I have hunted in the Big woods of state land in northern Michigan and also in the target rich invironment of southern michigan as well. I am not a bait supporter. I hunted theose large woods up north and it does require more homework but it can be just as sucessful. After a 2 years of learning the deer up there I harvested 3 bucks the next two years during the archery season.

I don;t mean to strike a nerve to those that do bait but I think of it in the same light as hunting with high fences. I know many hunting brothers that bait and over the years they were allowed to bait there was never a 2.5 year old buck or older taken from a bait pile. spend the time that you take driving to the gas station to buy the corn, carroits and sugar beets and walk the woods. Michigan is one of 5 states that allow baiting. There are still high sucess rates in the states that dont allow baiting and require hunting. If baiting was ban for good I think that could help bring back the sense of acomplishment and sucess for a job well done.

Like I said. I have friends that bait I don't agree with it but to each their own.

Return to Michigan