What is your favorite scent attractant?

Deebz

Re: What is your favorite scent attractant?

Postby Deebz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 am

Word of warning concerning the leaves and such in a tub with your clothes: My brother tried this tactic and wasn't very careful about what he was picking up off the ground. A lot of the leaves and branches he put in with all of his hunting clothes were damp. 2 months later when he pulled them out to get ready for season he discovered a very nice crop of mold growing on all of his gear.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 pm

LOL! That'd do it! That's why I said, "...in a sealable Rubbermaid tub in which I've put a cachet bag full of dried, crushed hardwood leaves.

I thought you were going to say that he put some poison ivy leaves in there! If he did, that would wind up being THE best plant identification lesson he ever had! MANY years ago I had someone teach me a similar lesson by letting me walk in shorts through a patch of stinging nettle. I was in misery for about 10 minutes and when I asked him why he didn't say anything when he saw me go into them he said that if he told me I would have avoided them but I wouldn't know what they were the next ime if he wasn;t around to stop me. He was right! I NEVER, EVER forgot what stinging nettle looked like!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah, he went on a camping trip when he was 12/14 with his buddies one time and got a terrible case of the Ivy... he broke out with the rash pretty much EVERYWHERE.... he avoids the stuff like the plague now.

I hate stinging nettle... we used to blaze paths through the stuff to get to our favorite fishing holes. My buddy owned quite a lot of property on the Indian Creek, and we'd go from the small tributary where we'd catch creek chub over to the deep pools on the Indian to catch catfish. All that low swampy ground was perfect for stinging nettle. I usually wore long pants for that reason.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm a scent control freak. I use scent free bath soap and shampoo, scent free deodorant, scent free laundry detergent and dryer sheets, and store my hunting cloths in a big plastic container with pine scented wafers from Hunter's Specialties.

As far as attractants, I use two. Deer Herd in a stick, all season long, and during the pre-rut, rut, and post rut, I use VS-1. I don't archery hunt, but I do rifle hunt over food plots and corn bait piles. I've killed bucks that I could actually see sniffing the air trying to locate the doe when I was using the VS-1. I put it on my boots when walking(I've actually killed a few that were walking on the same path with their nose to the ground) in to my stands, and once in the stand, put some on the material that covers the stands. When I'm hunting deer with the hounds down in the swamp, I'll put some VS-1 on my boots and some of the deer herd on my clothes so that as I walk through the woods, that's the smells I'm leaving on the bushes and trees. I'm not trying to attract deer of course, when the dogs are running them, but I'm trying to keep my intrusion into their environment down to a minimum in order to eliminate any odor that might turn the deer away from my location.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators