Revisit ozone generators

DBogie59

Revisit ozone generators

Postby DBogie59 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm

I need to revisit the ozone debate. I was hunting this weekend and after hiking up the hills, started to sweat as usual. Normally, when I'm, done hunting I hang the clothes out until I hunt again. All this after washing in baking soda. I have searched and I am not concerned with using it in a ground blind. My question is between hunts on the same day, how would putting clothes in a tub and using an ozone generator work. It seems too easy.

kellory

Re: Revisit ozone generators

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 pm

It should greatly decrease the amount of smell on your clothes. I do not know what the size requirement of the unit requires, but any scent you destroy, should be to the good. Ozone generators break the smell components apart, It doesn't cover or absorb it. Though, a bowl of activated carbon in the tub would absorb scent.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you on how it works but not sure if will work on sweaty clothes with only a couple hours between hunts. Actually, looking for more people that have used and tried this method. Still seems too easy. I have found some models for only 50 bucks.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

I can't comment on the amount of time it would take to "de-scent" your clothes, but it really can't hurt. I would think that a rubbermaid type tub would be better being that it is a small enclosed space. However, I wonder if the clothing being folded or rolled up would decrease the effectiveness....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm

I agree when full it may not work correctly but it beats wearing a different set of clothes for each hunt. I saw a video on youtube where a guy used a small, $50 model and built a small room. Approx. 24 x 48 x 72 high, put his clothes and boots in it and stored it this way. I'm thinking I could build a similar container at the farm and store all my clothes in it. Here's the link to the youtube video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBJd-tUUilw

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm sleeping in a 7X14 cargo trailer I converted when in camp. Each day after hunting I hang my clothes ad run my ozone generator on high in the closed trailer while I'm eating dinner and swapping stories in the cook tent. After dinner, I turn off the ozone generator and open the door and window to air the trailer out while I'm getting the 4 wheeler repacked for the next day.

My nose isn't good enough to truly tell, but the clothes seem fresher to me and the trailer smells nice and clean ...Best idea I've had except buying a bunch of extra clothes or driving to town to wash them...

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 am

Sounds like a good plan... Just don't ever forget to shut the machine down before you rack out for the night...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

dhoshi21

Postby dhoshi21 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 am

I have never personally used one but I hear they work.

I have also heard good things about auto vaccine. Their system uses Chlorine Dioxide to remove smells, bacteria, etc...You can google it to find out more, but this is what they say on their website about ozone generators..

"Other chemicals such as ozone can also physically change odor-causing chemical compounds (get rid of them). However, ozone is also very reactive with many non-targeted materials, such as dust in the air, fabric, and plastic and metals that are in the surrounding environment. Because of these non-targeted side reactions, more ozone may be needed for a particular job in order to maintain a level high enough to react with the odor-causing compounds. Additionally, aggressive side reactions can damage furniture and appliances in the area being deodorized with ozone. Ozone also requires the use of sophisticated machinery and electricity."

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators