Smelly boots

Danhattan

Smelly boots

Postby Danhattan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Folks, I'm a newbie to the forum. I've loved reading your comments. So i know you can help me with my question.
I wear the polypropelene boots from Muck. They obviously produce an odor once they get wet, but do deer associate that smell with humans? Any advice on the best boot to wear to reduce odors?

bmstaaf

RE: Smelly boots

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Deer may not associate it right off the bat, but they eventually will. People would probably say different, but in my personal experience deer are so hard to hunt because their association to things us as humans let off. Whether its scent from a boot, the sound of a person walking down the same trail for a season, or to a car door closing at a certain time. Smart deer remember all of this, IMO to be a great successful hunter you can use your abilities to hide the associations. It's the main reason IMO why people tend to hunt numerous properties. I will let you in on this it is easier said than done and that's an understatement.

Woods Walker

RE: Smelly boots

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

The common consensus is that all rubber boots are supposed to be the best for scent neutrality. This may be true, but I, for one, cannot wear all rubber boots for more than a few days before I get a case of jungle rot on my feet that takes MONTHS to get rid of. So I don't wear all rubber boots unless it's extremely wet or there's deep snow.

That said, here's my regiment for my deer hunting boots.......

Regardless of which boot you choose to wear, wear them ONLY for deer hunting and nothing else. Put them on when you get to your hunting grounds and you get out of your vehicle, and you take them off before you get back in. If you are hunting from a cabin or house, keep your hunting boots outside and do not wear them in the house. NEVER, EVER stop for gas while wearing your hunting boots! You may as well just spray gas on the soles before you go into the woods. I can't tell you how many times that I've stopped for gas on my way to a hunt, and observed other deer hunters going to their hunting area while wearing their camo hunting boots (probably with Scent-Scam liners! [:D] ).

I keep my hunting boots....as well as the rest of my hunting outerwear....in a Rubbermaid storage tub in which I have a cachet bag full of dried crushed leaves. This makes the boots smell like a fall woods. The one place that I bowhunt is a horse ranch, and when I walk through the fields I make a point of stepping in the horse poop whenever I can. When I hunt where there's cattle I do the same.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators