New proposed youth hunt

mnmaverick

New proposed youth hunt

Postby mnmaverick » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Check out this article from the Star Tribune about a proposed new youth firearms season. My take is that it is making an already very early firearms season even earlier! I love the idea of getting youth more involved and giving them more chances, but perhaps the DNR could move the regular firearms season back a few weeks to accomodate this?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... t_comments

dewey

RE: New proposed youth hunt

Postby dewey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:17 am

I have a few problems with this new idea for the following reasons.

[ol][*]If the goal is for the guardian to be able to spend more time teaching the child deer hunting skills can't they be learned during the regular season?  Is a deer to a parent more important than teaching your kid how to hunt and passing on the love for the outdoors?  I would think not.
[*]The deer herd in MN can not support this plan without adversly affecting the bow hunters and gun hunters through out the state.  Even if you broke the state into regions the only portion of the state that has a very large number of deer compared to hunters is the NW part of the state and that is because it is a ways up there.[/ol]
My 2 cents

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

nateberly

RE: New proposed youth hunt

Postby nateberly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:51 pm

I am not quite sure how much this would help a youth get a deer, and it would disrupt bow season a bit, although it might be better for them to hunt less pressured deer. I am not sure how that would affect deer patterns for regular rifle opener.
If your hunting grounds aren't nearby, are their going to be a lot of parents (and kids) that will take an extra weekend off? I think it is great to try and get more youth into the sport, but I wonder if there is a better way. Like Dewey said, why can't this be done during the regular season?

Return to Minnesota