Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Patriot

Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:23 am

Hey everyone, let's use this as our Archery season notes thread.

Season starts September 19.  Are you ready?

I'll be busy going through my hunting closet and washing all my stuff this weekend.  It's all a mess from last year.  I'm pretty sure I have everythng I need, just need to get it all organized.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MN_Prairie_Prowler

RE: Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Postby MN_Prairie_Prowler » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:06 am

Im am ready!

Except I'm not going to be here on the opeaner. My girlfriend and I are headin to South Dakota to stick us a couple speed goats. We went last year and had a blast. Neither of us got one but it was the most fun I have ever had with a bow. 1 out of 4 of us got a goat. It even qualified for P&Y I think.

But I am ready for MN bow season when we return. Washed our cloths this weekend, Hung one last stand, a little late in my mind but she got a new stand and wanted to get it out. I've got the blinds airing out in the grove. Bow is nuts on.

I am really pumped to spend some time in a tree. 

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:26 pm

I've got all my clothes washed and packed, heading to the cabin this weekend with Dad to get the season started.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 pm

I've got everything organized and ready to go.  Everything is washed up, wrapped up, and tubbed up.

It's a 3 hour trip to the farm on Friday night (with wife and 3 kids).  Highs Saturday expected to be in the mid 70's, but calm weather. 

We'll see what happens.  This will be my wife's first ever opening day with a bow in her hands. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Good luck to you all!!!!!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Good luck...Sounds like it'll be a LITTLE cooler than it was last weekend for us in WI! [:D]
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Opening Weekend Hunting Notes:

Saturday, Sep 19:  took Mrs. Patriot out for her first ever bow hunt.[:)][:)]  We were together in the same blind (I left my bow at the farmhouse).  We didn't see any deer, but the event was one of the best in my hunting life!  I took my 8 yo son and 4 yo daughter to that same blind in the evening.  No chance really of killing anything, but they enjoyed the "hunt".  Between their caughing and talking, no deer were within miles.  Daytime highs were over 80 degrees, so nothing was moving anyway.  Mrs. Patriot took our other daughter with her.  They didnn't see anything either.  It was a beutiful weekend to get the kids out there.[:)]

Sunday, Sep 20:  I went out for the morning hunt by myself.  Got up at 3:30am and was in my blind by 4:45am.  First light was 6:30am, so I caught some zzzzz's.  I saw one lone doe about 7:10am.  She was about 300 yards away.  I never would have seen her if I hadn't been "glassing" the area constantly.

USNavyChiefRet

Postby USNavyChiefRet » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

I hunted up by Mora/Grasston area the past few days, Sept. 23 & 24, didn't see anything. I saw some turkeys. I know exactly where they are roosting and I heard them in the morning when they got out of their roosts. My son-in-law and his brother released some onto their property about 5 years ago and these are some that were born or survived since that time. Did not see one deer. I could hear them in the woods but nothing passed my stand. The next time I go up I'm bringing my climber with and maybe try another spot. Good luck and great hunting. It will get better. Too warm! Deer don't have to move and there are acorns ALL over!
USNavyChiefRet

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:24 pm

I went out Saturday evening, September 26.  I was fortunate to see about 20 deer (does, fawn and small 1.5 year olds).  The closest were 4 small bucks at 40 yards away.  A bit too far for me, plus there was a barbed wire fence between us.

That was the most deer I'd seen in a sit for a long time.  Keep in mind my area is wide open and I can see many deer with the binocs.

Most of the deer were hitting the soybeans.....much to my surprise.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:00 pm

October 3 Notes -
Beautiful night.  WNW wind about 5mph.  I was set up literally 150 yards from a major highway and 75 yards from some traintracks.  The traffic blocked 95% of the woods noise, so when the spike came in at 15 yards I had no chance to shoot him. (I would have).

When the train came by....wow....was that loud.

October 4 Notes -
Took my 8 yo daughter with me to a place by my house.  Another beautiful night, but the only deer we saw were 2 tails running back into the woods as we were walking out.

Next

Return to Minnesota