Kill White Deer? - Opinions Wanted

Patriot

Kill White Deer? - Opinions Wanted

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 am

Father Hennepin State Park in Minnesota is hosting a youth hunt.  Local are concerned that one of the several white deer in the park maybe killed. 

See the link below.  What are your thoughts?

http://wcco.com/sports/rare.white.deer.2.1968335.html
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

blueeyeddragon76

RE: Kill White Deer? - Opinions Wanted

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:01 am

well it is a youth hunt, which means that the 10 young hunters that are participating in this hunt are going to be accompanied by experienced adults... those experienced adults should have enough common sense to keep the kids from shooting one of those white deer... i don't know about them but i would not want to be known as "that guy", especially since the DNR are not saying no you can't, but are saying we wish you wouldn't... if the areas population is that high , then there should not be a problem finding another deer for those kids to harvest, at any rate i hope the kids have fun and successful hunts! it is good to see the next generation!
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:18 am

Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't these albino deer a threat to the gene pool? What I mean is aren't the albino deer going to make more albino deer. In my opinion, they are still deer, just albino, thats the only difference. They should be allowed to be harvested.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 am

I am unsure if albino/white deer are threats to the gene pool.  I would assume they are certainly easier to spot during the Fall.

I have no problem with them being killed, but the article above presents a unique situation.  The community seems to hold them in such high regard.  It would probably put a negative mark on hunting if one of them were to be killed.

Too bad people are so sensitive.  What a neat trophy it would be for one of the kids.

I'm sure there are good opinions on both sides of the fence.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 am

I believe albino deer are genetically inferior and are more likely to go blind and stuff.  I am in the same situation on the farm I hunt.  There is a white doe and she had white fawns last year and this year the doe had a brown fawn and one of her fawns had a brown fawn as well.  They aren't albino but I would just assume get them out of the herd because I don't want white deer showing up everywhere.  My grandparents own the land and want them to survive and the neighbors have all agreed to pass on them as well.   
Scott

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 pm

I could understand if there is one or two albino deer residing in the woods and no one wants them harvested. But if you have abundance of them, then I personally think they could be a threat to the genetics of the rest of the herd and before you know it, they are getting smoked by vehicles on the road and people would flood the area to see the deer and cause problems for landowners and state lands...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to Minnesota