Superior National Forest hunt

Jimbo

Superior National Forest hunt

Postby Jimbo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello my Minnesota hunting brothers,

I am planning my first ever Minnesota gun deer hunt. My camp will be off the Echo Trail in the forest.

The guys I am hunting with normally still hunt. I am hoping to hang at least one stand but also interested in spending some time on the ground still hunting.

What techniques work for you? Any specific habitat to key in on?

Looks like the rut could be in full swing so I assume some calling and rattling should be effective.

Thanks,

Jimbo

Deebz

Re: Superior National Forest hunt

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Check a topo map of the area you are planning to hunt, look for ledges/benches and ridges. Couple that with satellite views to see what kind of vegetation is at these types of land features that deer will use to cruise through the area and pick one that looks good...

Other than that I would suggest trying to get with the guys and coordinate your still hunts so that if you end up bumping deer they would head towards other guys in the area.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

mnslayer

Re: Superior National Forest hunt

Postby mnslayer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Jimbo first and foremost superior national forest is large woods with known magnetic disturbances(compass deviation), so be sure of where you are and where you want to go. With that said most successful hunts are from stand hunting. Deer here respond different not only from other states but even from deer to deer. Blind rattling and calling is not recommended. I have seen deer leave the area just from a grunt call but have also been charged using a grunt call. Put your stand close to a well used trail and get to your stand while still dark. Be quite and still you are bound to see deer. I stalk only on days when the woods is noisy as the brush is usually thick and it is hard to move silently. Scouting is always helpful if you are seeking large racks. Good luck on your hunt and stay safe

Return to Minnesota