Minnesota vs. Wisconsin

mnmaverick

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 am

Check out this article in the Star Tribune today:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... 11037.html

As I posted on their webpage, I agree with Cornicelli that there are more deer in WI. I totally disagree with him regarding trophy deer habitat. We have ideal trophy habitat in SE Minnesota. The problem is that of all the trophy states (Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois), we have the earliest gun season, no antler restrictions, and total disregard for QDM.

What do you guys think?

dewey

RE: Minnesota vs. Wisconsin

Postby dewey » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:53 am

Personally I don't really care which state has better deer populations or better hunters I have access to land in MN and I am familiar with it.  I may never shoot a world class deer where I hunt but that is not what hunting is all about in my opinion.  There are always exceptions when people try to categorize things so genereally.  As a MN hunter I wish they would implement a earn a buck or another type of antler restrictions.  I don't shoot spike bucks anymore but the guy down the road that shoots multiple spikes and smaller bucks per year and then complains that there are not any big bucks just makes you shake your head and wonder how dumb they really are.

Anyways I am going muzzleloader hunting this weekend and hopefully I can find a buck in the lottery area that wants to go for a ride in my car.[:D]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:15 am

I agree with you Dewey. Hunting is certainly not all about antlers, but I would gladly pass a spike buck and go home with an empty tag if it means I'll have a better shot at a trophy once in a while. I think there are plenty of great spots and deer in Minnesota. I just think the DNR could do better in managing for some bigger bucks.

Good luck this weekend! I'll be out with my bow trying to fill a doe tag!

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:03 am

Hhaaaaa i've hunted in both MN and WI (in Northern MN outside of Duluth, in the suburbs of MN, and now hunt at my shack in NW WI), and actually did some bowhunting in my old public land N MN stomping grounds this year with some buddies, and i'd say that there are more deer in the area i hunted in the big woods of MN than there are in the big woods i hunt in WI. There really are not many deer in northern WI right now i can tell you that much. There are some really big bucks in both areas though.

rjohannsen

Postby rjohannsen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 am

I hate to disagree with my best friend, MNMaverick, but we have had to hunt HARD to get deer in WI during rifle season.  I only shot a doe in WI last year, and that was late in the week.  We covered miles and miles each day.  The problem is access to good hunting land.  With the economic crunch landowners around were my cabin is in Danbury, WI are selling their surplus land and buyers are gobbling it up and posting.  They obviously have the right to do that, ye who owns the land makes the rules, but the parcels that are being posted often block access to public lands, etc.  That, coupled with the weekend warriors who conduct 30 person drives, really drive the deer deeper and deeper in.  Give me a food plot in SE MN to hunt over any day!  I prefer that to tromping around through the alder thickets in NW WI! 

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 am

I agree with both of you about Northern MN and WI. I haven't hunted the north (yet!) but I think Cornicelli was talking about southwest WI (Buffalo and Trempeleau counties) and southeast MN. In that part of WI you have huge numbers of trophy deer versus SE MN. Glad to see that SE MN instituted a antler point restriction this year. We'll see how that helps. Unfortunately they didn't move the gun season back.

rjohannsen

Postby rjohannsen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 am

You're definitely right about SW WI, and specifically Buffalo County!  Huge difference from NW WI.  QDM is the key.  My wife's uncle lives and hunts in Buffalo County...you should see the bucks he passes on every year!  MNMaverick, at least you and I have a chance to prove everyone wrong and get 2 monster bucks in Danbury, WI this weekend! 

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:25 am

Who knows?  I just love hunting and try to appreciate whatever land I am fortunate enough to hunt on.

I grew up in WI and hunted there about 10 years.  Now I live and hunt in MN (about 13 years).  Different habitat, but still big deer.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:36 pm

What made me mad about Minnesota when I hunted there was the rifle season was and still is just way too early. I'd still be hunting MN if the rifle season was moved to where WI's is. It would definitley save some young bucks too, not to mention give bowhunters more time.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 am

I think Wisconsin has more woodland compared to MN. I used to live way up by Roseau MN. Its pretty barren up there and there are patches of woods here and there and trust me, there are some huge bucks up there, and plenty of deer. I know some people that hunt in Beltrami state forest every year and the bucks they see are anything but small. Even up in the iron range the deer population is pretty good. I really think that star Tribune doesn't know what the hell they are talking about as usual.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Minnesota