Minnesota: Special late-season deer hunt set for Dec. 27 to Jan. 11 in Permit Area 101

Corey Graff

Minnesota: Special late-season deer hunt set for Dec. 27 to Jan. 11 in Permit Area 101

Postby Corey Graff » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:29 am

A special late-season deer hunt will be held Dec. 27 through Jan. 11 in Permit Area 101 in northwestern Minnesota, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

The hunt is part of the state's ongoing bovine tuberculosis (TB) surveillance and eradication efforts.

Details of the hunt include:

* hunters may take an unlimited number of deer of either sex
* deer can be tagged with any remaining unused tags from the 2008 season
* hunters can use any 2008 license or permit from any deer area
* hunters must have a license and use the legal weapon for that license
* new or replacement licenses may be obtained at any Electronic Licensing System agent; hunters can also purchase additional disease management permits for $2.50
* all harvested deer must be registered at one of the following registration stations during regular business hours: Olson Skime Store in Skime; Riverfront Store in Wannaska; or the DNR offices at Thief Lake or Red Lake wildlife management areas

Once the late season hunt concludes in January, the DNR will conduct another aerial survey of the area to determine current deer abundance and distribution. The agency can then contract with ground and aerial sharpshooters to further reduce deer populations in the bovine TB core area.

For more information on Minnesota's bovine TB eradication efforts, visit mntbfree.com.

Patriot

RE: Minnesota: Special late-season deer hunt set for Dec. 27 to Jan. 11 in Permit Area 101

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:30 am

Any of you MN hunters taking advantage of this special season?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dewey

RE: Minnesota: Special late-season deer hunt set for Dec. 27 to Jan. 11 in Permit Area 101

Postby dewey » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 am

I have been thinking about it but it is a long ways up there and I am not familiar with the area at all.  Does anyone know how much public land there is up there?  If there is where to look to find it.  Is anyone else thinking about it?

Dewey

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:31 am

Hey there dewey,

Try the MN DNR site for public land listings:  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html

I will not be hunting the late season.  It's too far of a hike for me, freezer is full, no vacation time and I am unfamiliar with the area.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:04 pm

Did anybody have any luck up there? How was the public land you did find?

Return to Minnesota