State Looking to Build Mega-Complex to Attract New Hunters

Ben Sobieck

State Looking to Build Mega-Complex to Attract New Hunters

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:28 am

Will income to the state from new hunters be greater than the cost of the complex? Read this article and decide.

by Brian McCombie
Gun Digest contributor
Special to Deer & Deer Hunting

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has begun looking at the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area as a possible home for a 530-acre, $22 million shooting complex.

"The DNR has invited metro cities, counties, townships and park boards to offer possible sites by Sept. 7 [2010] for what would be the state's largest complex offering indoor and outdoor sport shooting," the Star Tribune reported.

"The purpose is to encourage more people to hunt and engage in shooting sports, said Dave Schad, the DNR's fish and wildlife director. Such a complex also would be likely to host national competitions. The need for additional shooting sports opportunities is pretty evident in the state. We were asked by the state Legislature to take a look at this."

As envisioned, the complex would include, "10 skeet fields, 30 traps fields, a 15-station rifle range, an archery range with more than 22 stations and a five-station pistol range. Indoor firearm and archery ranges are planned, as well."

Legislation to begin a site search was authored by State Representative David Dill (DFL-Crane Lake).

"Our youth hunter recruitment continues to suffer," said Dill. "It's not just Minnesota; it's all states. We are trying to bring people into hunting and into shooting sports. You can't expect people to continue to participate when there isn't opportunity."

SOURCE: Star Tribune

dewey

RE: State Looking to Build Mega-Complex to Attract New Hunters

Postby dewey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 am

I am glad the MNDNR is planning on building more shooting ranges in the metro area.  I currently have to drive 50 miles to shoot my rifle in order to get ready for the season.[:)]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 am

Wow that's great, hope it happens.

rjohannsen

Postby rjohannsen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 am

I hope they build it!  Any new news on the proposal?  We need a killer archery range (hopefully a roving one) here in the TC area!

dewey

Postby dewey » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

ORIGINAL: rjohannsen

I hope they build it!  Any new news on the proposal?  We need a killer archery range (hopefully a roving one) here in the TC area!

Ask and you shall recieve.  There is an article in the Star Tribune about the 4 locations (Elk River, Monticello, Lino Lakes and Prior Lake).  I personally support the idea because a large portion of the MN population lives in the Metro area and the gun/archery ranges that are near the metro are not very convienent.  I hope they pay for this by using the Legacy ammendment taxes collected.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to Minnesota