Camp Ripley archery hunt

dewey

Camp Ripley archery hunt

Postby dewey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:39 am

Hey all here is a story from the Star Tribune about the Camp Ripley archery hunt.  Anyone on here hunt there and if so how did you do?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/105820113.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUgOahccyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

mnmaverick

RE: Camp Ripley archery hunt

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:40 am

I saw that yesterday in the paper. I haven't ever applied to Camp Ripley, but after the last couple of years I'm starting to consider it!!! I just don't love the idea of 5,000 people trying to figure out where to set up opening morning. Do they let you go in ahead of time and put in stands, or how do people pick spots?

nromn

Postby nromn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:14 am

I have a friend who is a vet that was only drawn there once, but used to go up there for drills and whatnot. He said there is no scouting and there is only 1 way in, so unless you get into line the night before, its takes forever to get in because you are waiting with over 1000 other hunters to get in, depending on the weekend you choose. Not sure his information is 100% accurate or not, but it sounds like a zoo.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Definitely sounds like a zoo! I can do without that. I think I'd get frustrated to go through all that only to have some guy sitting 100 yards away. i guess all those people walking around get the deer moving though! The best plan might be to walk as far as possible and sleep in the woods overnight!

Return to Minnesota