Opening day

rjohannsen

Opening day

Postby rjohannsen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Good luck tomorrow!! Have fun, stay safe and happy hunting! Post pics of your opening weekend harvests here!

Patriot

Re: Opening day

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Hey there all MN hunters. I have been very delinquent in visiting the forum, but plan to check it more now that the season has begun.

My buddy Rick and I harvested/took/bagged/killed these two does on Sunday of opening weekend.
Attachments
Double Down_9.18.11.JPG
Double Down_9.18.11.JPG (70.89 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Looks good to me! Congrats! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Nice work Patriot! I saw you guys featured on the daily email.

I shot a 1 1/2 year old doe on Saturday night, but unfortunately either she dropped or I shot high, and I could see the shot went just under her spine and above the lungs. She took off into a huge field of 6ft tall weeds, and despite my best efforts to track her for over 3 hours, I finally lost the blood trail. I went back the next morning but it rained and washed away any hope I had. Hopefully she will survive the shot since it wasn't likely fatal, but I feel horrible nonetheless!

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 am

Congratulations Patriot and to your buddy for the good looking does! What kind of zone are you in this year, ie lottery, managed, etc.? Did you see any more deer while you guys were out and about?

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks fellas.

I'll be out again today (just a mile from my home). It will be my first hunt on some new land I just received access to. They have some real bruisers on their trail cams, so I am excited.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh....those does were taken at my in-laws farm (lottery zone). There are more hunters in our group, so we are able to party hunt.

I saw 21 deer opening day from an obervation stand. Based on my opening day overvations I moved to a stand in the area the deer were moving. Worked like a charm as I took the 12 yard shot at 5pm the next day.

My wife took her first ever shot on opening day. She missed the spike buck, but was thrilled with the encounter.

Return to Minnesota