Favorite Call

oneshot 1

Favorite Call

Postby oneshot 1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 am

Tell you what I like rattling when its time.But for an all around Deer Call I don't think you can beat The Can.

I called a Buck trailing a Hot Doe,couldn't get a shot at him because he almost ran over me.

I was calling a Deer from across a field one time.A guy walked in on me,I hollerd at him,he left.The Deer watched him.I called it came right to me.

Last Deer season I had couple deer running along my neighbors Fence.I called they jumped the fence and Back Tracked to me.

oneshot

OHhunter

RE: Favorite Call

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 pm

I like the snort wheeze, with a call or with out.  It stops them in there tracks and brings'em in looking for a fight.  I haven't had any really pay much attention to the can. I really don't know why but, I've had them in sight done the can call and nothing they look, that's it. I'll keep trying it, everyone else seems to have success with them.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:24 am

I like the True Talker grunt tube, and the Can. The Can was responsible for me arrowing a huge 8-pointer a couple seasons ago. That buck field dressed over 200 lbs.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:55 am

to be honest ive never used a call before and had any luck
at least with bucks ive called a few does in but thats it
neither of the does i shot
i dont really now what to use for a call
you guys have any good starter calls

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

I'd start with a grunt tube, I've never had it  spook deer and used it to call in several deer.  I'd also get a can call (bleat) it's about the simplest too use, eventhough I've never had luck with it, I know several people who have.  I try to stay away from blind calling, I think it's too easy to overdue it, unless I'm rattling, but I do it sparringly.  Most calls will be more productive during the pre-rut through the post rut, but will work the entire season. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:31 am

the primos buck roar is a great call for starters because it is very easy to use you can get soft tending grunts with it to a all out roar for when the deer is way out there.. Give it a shot also the primos can is very user friendly and effective used it to call a nice ten point into range but he wouldnt come out from behind the tree he stopped behind...

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:20 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

I am in the same boat.  guys on the forum suggests " tactics for talking to deer" by the deer doctor dvd.  It is great. The 1st thing I learned was that I was doing harm not good in the way I was using the can.  He goes into detail about how to use several calls and how to make the calls using your mouth. Highly recommend.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:06 pm

I have good luck with the hands free primos call(set on young buck) and the quakerboy can call.I was using the calls at the same time and shot a nice 8pt 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm

i like the Buck Roar and the Can call. last season i called in a good six pointthat was walking away from me with his head down and kicking leaves. he got to be about 100 yards away before i saw him. after i saw him i used the can and then he came in on a rope, but was still to far for a shot
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

buck_talker

Postby buck_talker » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 pm

I've had good luck using the flextone call you can make fawn bleats, doe bleats, young buck grunts, and mature buck grunts all on one call. 

Next

Return to Calls