ATV to plow snow question

Wolf River Hunter

ATV to plow snow question

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 am

Looking for an ATV to plow the snow from my driveway. It will also assist in food plots, firewood, and hopefully deer removal but it's primary function will be snow plow. Any thoughts about the minimum size I will need? Any comments appreciated.

Woody

RE: ATV to plow snow question

Postby Woody » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Not sure how much help it will be but I have a 1999 Polaris sportsmen 500. It has been a great machine. Probly not the best trail riding atv but it has definetly been a great "work horse". I use it all the time for plowing snow. It also works great for all the grunt work up at the hunting land as far as hauling wood to helping with food plots. Not sure you would need a 500 to mostly do snow removal but it sure doesnt hurt.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:11 pm

the sportsman 500 is a great machine. I would certainly look at the sportsman line of atvs.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. A workhorse is just what I am looking for as I won't be doing any trail riding. I'll check the sportsman out.

DEGOINS

Postby DEGOINS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:04 am

I think Polaris is better suited for this type of stuff because they are so heavy and thats important when pushing a plow.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:56 pm

I ended up with a Polaris and it is a beast plowing, put a Moose Country plow on it and it moves snow with no problem.

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:25 am

ORIGINAL: Wolf River Hunter

Looking for an ATV to plow the snow from my driveway. It will also assist in food plots, firewood, and hopefully deer removal but it's primary function will be snow plow. Any thoughts about the minimum size I will need? Any comments appreciated.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]This WARNING may be a little late for you, but take heed. NO ATV was ever designed for snow plowing, no matter what the salesman tells you.

If you are going to snow plow, only do so in a straight line. NEVER plow while turning. As a matter of fact keep that plow raised whenever you turn. If not, and you move a lot of heavy snow, it will only be a short period of time until you totally destroy the steering mechanism. Straight line only!
[/font] [:(]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

lostmyarrow

Postby lostmyarrow » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 pm

I am using a 2004 Honda Rubicon 500cc with electronic shift. It has the solid rear end. I removed the original hitch and replaced it with a 1/2 inch plate U-bolted to the axle tubes and a brace downwards to the rear end housing so the hitch wouldn't drop. I did this so the rear end housing wouldn't breakup as it is only aluminum. I then built an A-frame that couples to the hitch with a drop in bolt. At the front are two uprights welded to the A-frame. These bolt to a cross bar which is U-bolted to the front brush guard. I built a 4 foot wide by approximate 20 inch high dozer blade of 1/8th. metal, curved and re-enforced. A 3/4 inch "T" rod fastens the blade to the A-frame and has a spring clip for easy removal. I use the winch for raising and lowering the blade. This quad came with a full time 4x4 with hi and low range. I modified it by putting in a Detroit Gearless Locker in the front and and a 4-2-4 front drive shaft from Hi Lifter. This drive shaft is engaged and disengaged using a heavy cable much like the older grain or gravel trucks used to engage or disengage the power take off. For normal use, one does not need the quad in 4 wheel drive, and being out of 4 wheel drive the turning radius is greatly reduced. For good traction I use MudBug or Bear Claw tires which have a deep tread. For travel in deep snow, I remove all 4 wheels and install a track system where each wheel was fastened. To use the track system the quad has to be operated in 4x4. This quad was purchased new, is well looked after, not driven at high speeds, nor used in quad derbies. It has given me excellent service and has approximate 1500 kilometers on it (just under 1000 miles). At times I do a lot of heavy pulling and by having a quad that is not belt driven, I am able to gear down and still keep my engine rpms up for maximum horsepower. At that time 500cc. was the minumum recommended for running a track system and at that time the track system was relatively new and was not recommended for independent suspension. Since, several companies have come on line building track systems of different designs making for easier steering and narrower front system so one can drive between the fender wells of a full size pickup. Mine being the older design, is either hauled on a trailer or loaded on a ramp system that is level with the top of the pickup fenders, putting the quad much higher when loaded.

Return to ATVs