United Bans Antlers on All Flights

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
Ben Sobieck

United Bans Antlers on All Flights

Postby Ben Sobieck » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:23 am

Don't pack antlers if you're flying United, not even in your checked luggage. Click here for United's dance for security theater.

From United:

United Airlines does not accept antlers or animal horns as checked or carry-on baggage on any flights.

As we all know, antlers are EXTREMELY dangerous. They should be regulated on all flights just like the other security threats United bans on its flights:

* Lighters
* Lighter fluid
* Acid
* Explosives
* Flammable solids/liquids
* Oxidizing materials
* Corrosive materials
* Compressed gases
* Poisons
* Etiologic agents
* Radioactive materials
* Irritating or incapacitating sprays
* Mercury
* Noxious materials
* Briefcases and attaché cases with installed alarm devices

Patriot

RE: United Bans Antlers on All Flights

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 am

Agreed. You never know when antlers might blow up.

Good grief.[:'(]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:01 pm

So you can check a firearm if it's in a locked case but not antlers? Wow that doesn't make sense. I bet a lot of hunters fly a different airline when they hear about this.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm

This is old news to me -- very old!

[United Airlines Horror story] I, for one, haven't flown United Airlines for TEN YEARS! That was when I flew on United for a moose hunt in Alaska. Before the trip, I called United and asked what their policy was for transporting antlers. The customer service person looked it up and told me that I had to cover all the points, using duct tape, cardboard, pieces of hose, whatever was necessary, to keep the tines from puncturing other people's baggage or hurting a baggage handler. I also had to wrap the skullplate to prevent any contact with any tissue, or contact with the sharp edges of the skull. Then I could check them as an extra bag for $50.

So, I went on my moose hunt. After I got my moose and was ready to pack up to go home, I called again -- the afternoon of the evening I was flying back home. I was given the exact same information. So, I did everything they said to do exactly as they said to do it. So far, so good.

When I checked in at the airport at Anchorage, I put the antlers on the baggage scale. The United clerk there said I couldn't check them as baggage. Long story short, he said they changed their policy, and he made me send them as air freight for $240. They ended up going a very long round-about way and were 2 days late arriving. I was afraid I'd never see them again.

That was 10 years ago. United Airlines has never gotten a single reservation from me since then, and never will. [/United Airlines Horror Story]

By the way, I brought another set home last year, and flew Continental. No problems checking them as baggage. Anchorage to Phoenix to Charlotte to Cleveland. And in fact, the flight from Phoenix to Charlotte got in late and I missed my connection there. Still, when I got to Cleveland, someone carried them out and handed them to me. Easy. The way it should be.

For ten years, I've been recommending against United Airlines.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ben Sobieck

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:17 am

Hunters traveling on United Airlines can now bring antlers in their luggage.

Previously, antlers and horns were banned from all flights. That changed last month when United reversed its stance. The new policy can be seen here.

Checked antlers will cost $175 per set to transport as checked luggage. Linear dimensions are limited at 120 inches. Tips must be padded and secured so as not to puncture baggage. The skull must also be wrapped.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks, Ben, Although $175 seems high; I wonder how they justify that. Maybe others are in the same ballpark, but I brought a set of moose antlers home from Anchorage on Continental in 2008, and the fee was only $80. At the time, my research (including a conversation with Knight's Taxidermy in Anchorage) showed that there were only two airlines that permitted antlers as checked baggage. I don't remember what the other one was (maybe Delta), but it wasn't United.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

baddoghunter

Postby baddoghunter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 am

I have not flown for a hunt since 2000 but at that time flying Northwest all we did was pack them in a box from the outfitter. they would be frozen and all of our dirty clothes packed around them and I was only charged if I went over the 2 bag limit then. Every bag was screened changing flights at customs and nothing was ever said about them. We did have to declare them as animal parts etc.My outfitter completely caped the hide, even from the scull and all you sent home was the hide and the antler scull cap.I know they could see them at customs because you were only allowed your pair and someone in front of me had sheds plus his kill and because he tried to sneak them in all were confiscated.
My House Is Protected By The Good Lord And Guns.
And You Might Meet Them Both If You Show Up Here Not Welcome Son.

scotman

Postby scotman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 am

Everyday Hunter I think they justify it along the same lines of how they justify charging an over weight person for two seats. Or any other of the ludicrous fees they been tacking on to us that fill their pocket books.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 am

I have not flowen any where to hunt yet.. However in the near future I plan to. This is good info to know. Thanks Ben!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ghost7071

Postby ghost7071 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:37 am

If you go read the first line of the policy it says it all........

[font=arial]"Dangerous objects not allowed in the cabin"[/font]

Note the "In the Cabin" specific.
We've sent antlers on flights for years. We would always declare the contents and put them in a box and away they'd go, into the cargo/luggage hold.....not in the cabin loose.
I believe that's the point being made, you couldn't carry them on the plane with you because they could be used as a weapon......

Of course once you reach cruising altitude, they give you an aluminum beverage can.......... hmmm, something wrong with that picture......

Return to Regulatory issues